repair advice

tfrei

See attached picture to see what I'm looking to repair.  Basically, over the years the centerboard has damaged the plywood after hundreds of slams into it from the centerboard going in the down position.  I'm thinking of getting some epoxy between the de-laminated plywood layers, clamp together lightly (using wax paper to separate clamp from epoxied surfaces), and then overlaying with a strip of fiberglass later.  What do you think?

IMG_20190810_103716.jpg

It seems like that could work.  Another option would be to bevel back the existing ply, then lay in a tapered piece of hard solid wood such as doug fir or hard southern pine on the bevel, pare everything down to match, then put your glass over.  It might be hard to force enough  epoxy back into the laminations.  Whichever method you use, the epoxy in the patch or forced into the laminates needs to be thickened.

I would cut out the damaged ply where it covers the slot in the trunk.  Then sand, clean,  epoxy, sand.  When  prepped I would glue (epoxy) a piece of hard wood across the trunk located such that it becomes the stop for the board to bang into.  Any good hardwood will do.  Then sand and paint for looks.

• Like 1

Hirilonde and Paul356,  thanks for the help.  For now, I pieced together a epoxy glue-fiberglass strip kind of thing that I'm hoping will be ok for the races tomorrow. I think,however, that one of your ideas would be a more permanent fix that I will try to get to in the fall.  I notice that whatever board I put in there will need to have a fair amount of bevel so it doesn't interfere with the way the pulley of the centerboard is at rest when in the up position (that is, centerboard down).  I thank you both for your advice.