Kayak Car Carrier Ideas

Kenny J

Over the years I have tried most everything and found that all can work but obviously some work better than others. I have found that there is nothing better OR SAFER than a proper set of clamps and bars with a bow line to the front of the car. My issue with anything else is that the kayak will move around. Possibly turn sideways on your car or come off the car and hurt or kill someone.

What I do is go to the Yakima site and figure out what will fit my car, INCLUDING older stuff. 

There is a good market on Ebay for used Yakima racks. Sometimes you can buy a mount with bars and maybe even some mount for a bicycle of canoe. Sell the stuff you don't need and end up with very little in the the pieces you needed. I have even made money breaking them up and selling pieces.

I needed clamps for the Suburban. Yakima showed two styles, one was discontinued. Searching Ebay I found the old style at a good price with some other hardware I didn't need. But, I sold the extras and ended up with a rack for a fraction of what it would cost to buy new.  

Easy to put on and MUCH safer than some cheap makeshift methods I have used in the past. Again, I will stress that the bow line tied to the front of the car is just as important as the racks are.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry my Ravenswood on a Thule rack with pads and "Stackers," which fold down when not in use. Straps to the rack go fore and aft of the coaming. Bow line is belayed to a 1" strap that is attached under the hood by a convenient, pre-existing bolt. Stern line is belayed to a tow loop under the rear bumper. See pics.IMG_1056.thumb.JPG.ca119b706403f43f6888a54f73d4f67c.JPGIMG_1057.thumb.JPG.01c95cf88121b78d51a3c7e341514e48.JPGIMG_1059.thumb.JPG.4b73a507c046bc84930cc5f464453e00.JPGIMG_1060.thumb.JPG.48931fc29045d59bad05669c3ed2b259.JPGIMG_1062.thumb.JPG.f4db5fc31cefc7167812b248fe5e4593.JPGIMG_E1055.thumb.JPG.81766310747dd22a40f7e8274be03556.JPG

• 1 month later...

I used a Yakima foam block & strap arrangement for my car for a while.  Even with tie-downs to front and rear I had a couple of scary moments on the freeway, and have upgraded to proper racks.

I've also just installed straps to the bolt inside the engine bay for my car as per Andy's photo above, and the improvement over my previous makeshift fixing to bumpers & grille is unbelievable.  100% recommend. 

• Like 1