Jump to content

Mathew Flinders 246


Jknight611
 Share

Recommended Posts


  • 2 months later...

About time to give a brief update on the Flinders project.  It is back upright and the 1800 poundish lead keel shoe is attached.  The last few months I  have been a sanding dervish, not much exciting to see there, those who have built boats know, and if you haven’t not wanting to dissuade anyone of the glamor!  The interior and 71.2% of the wiring is completed or at least on the floor.  After multiple mind changes I settled on a Kildwick composting head.  But this was after installing all the required stuff for a traditional marine head.  I gained an extra anchor locker in the space from the holding tank. 
 

Attached is a picture of the “roll team”. You may recognize some of the actors!  So many thanks for their help. 

700AF080-F27D-450C-A28F-F76E0384A0E2.jpeg

AA26D8F0-4EA5-4D6E-B0E7-E9AED614567D.jpeg

04500F66-BBB4-44CE-BED1-B091073F6992.jpeg

7282C005-6102-496F-AF8F-C6248FD6AE92.jpeg

3029773E-778D-4991-BB02-0E7ED0B27610.jpeg

97BA0450-DE23-4A62-A873-A558E9C306E9.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure lookin' great. WOW---lots of sanding. I know how much you love that part of the job! And 72.1% of the wiring. You must spend more time record keeping than building. Glad ya got the lead attached. Didya mold it yourself? Maybe that was in a past post that this old foggy brain has forgotten. Anyway, thanks for the update. Keep 'em coming!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The lead was cast at “The Mothership “ right after the 2019 Messabout. A perfect fit!  
The boat is “All Electric “ just like some of the home kitchen advertisements from the early ‘60’s.  The Torqeedo drive system battery was originally intended (by me only) to provide the house loads in addition to the drive system but the good folks at Torqeedo explained that wasn’t a good plan so it will have 2 independent electrical systems using 2 Battleborn batteries and the associated clutter. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got home from a visit to Mississippi to see Mathew Flinders 246. Thank you Jay and Carol for giving me an opportunity to see your boat. I was glad I could help with the turn. Lifting from the U bolts set at the balance points of the boat worked like a charm.  Amazing how we could turn the boat and keep it under control. So inspiring to see your progress. Thank you for your gracious accommodations, sweet potato tort, homemade pizza, risotto, blueberry cobbler made with homegrown blueberries.

 

Thanks as well for the chance to demo your sailrite sewing machine and the tour around town in your Ural sidecar. I sure wish I had gotten a photo!

 

 

 

 

PB080137.thumb.jpg.52dc43f5b4d9b836c7bab828d68babb1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

PB080127.thumb.jpg.0fa2fc6cf67ee726bf277edaae6ac67f.jpg

 

 

 

 

PB080099.thumb.jpg.a2db36dc75fa47a43ca17985b8c526b2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The photo does not have a lot of contrast, but it is amazing how much the rub rail and toe rail have narrowed down the hull.  That sheer strake looks about right. By the time you put your color scheme on Flinders I think we will have a real beauty on our hands both inside and out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Just letting the world know....still at it!  Really enjoying the build.  This is the overhead at the nav station and galley area,  radio installation is completed and the motor bay, not much to see there.  The blue bundle in the motor bay is the Torqeedo battery, just layed a old yoga mat over it so I don’t short out as I crawl in and out.  Soon I will be starting the disassembly project for final coat of varnish.  Boy, there are a lot more wiring projects than I initially thought!  May have gone “overboard “ on some of it! 

8A9B6D0C-F157-4534-8729-CB3426B040C8.jpeg

26E2A14E-E01F-4EC8-85D5-C252D3E102DA.jpeg

9522A736-5116-42E9-B79E-446E1CF86935.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The overhead will have another coat of (not shiny) varnish.  I looks kinda red in this photo, but it is actually white oak,  much lighter than it appears in this photo.  The cabin sole will soon have Plasteak, but I think I will wait till MOST of the paint, varnish and even epoxy blobs are dropped.   Still have several more electrical items for the motor bay,  house batteries are in the stub keel, so there will be still mo wires!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.