Mathew Flinders 246

Jknight611

Wasserboot,

I am glad that you like our MF 234 and 246. I think that she will be an excellent boat for your waters. We have similar conditions here in Pamlico Sound which is large and shallow. 

Alan and I went through a list of boats to add to our web site yesterday. Alan has taken on the web site and has done a great job but we have been overloaded with work lately but digging our way out so expect to see some changes soon.

Yes we will be listing the plans on the site.

• Like 2

I first thought why solid glass centerboard. Most of the rest of us have wood core. But Matthew in his blue water mode might be going a long ways between haul outs. If the board is damaged while being used as a depth gauge a repair may have to wait for awhile. Probably lots of details making this a serious blue water boat.

Joe,

A wood centerboard is the most expedient way for the home builder to make. On the MF I wanted the toughest board that we could make. By machining two half molds out of MDF, it gives Jay a simple way to  to lay up a solid glass board that should be practically indestructible. There is no wood to swell and there is no need for a lead tip. Not to mention that it will be a perfect foil.

We made the rudders on the big cat this way and they have been through a fair bit of abuse so far without any issues.

If Jay can get his to pop out of the mold without damage, you could lay yours up in the same molds.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 1:37 PM, Joe Anderson said:

... Does the #1800 mean 1800 pounds lead ballast? Seems like a lot.

I think thats the downside of shoal draft and high stability.
I assume with a deep keel bulb it could have much less lead. But for shoal waters it is perfect…
Really nice Design.  I have some questions. How long are the berths?  What do you think about windage? Is freeboard quite high compared to other designs?  Could it be scaled proportionally or only stretched lenghtwise to 26 foot?
Thanks in advance…

I sailed a Tartan 27 for many years. It was one of the first fiberglass designs, and it had a short heavy keel with a centerboard launched therefrom, similar to Matt.  It was a really good design.  The keel kept it upright, and the CB really bit hard upwind. It pointed well.  I think this is a good approach for the boat designed for these uses.

• Like 2

Wasserboot,

The berths on the MF246 are 6'9" or 2.057 long. The quarter berth is even longer.

I would not scale it any more because the volume increases too fast. It could be scaled by different length , beam and height factors but it rapidly becomes a new design. You surely do not need any more length in the bunks so moving bulkheads starts to get more complicated. 

As for windage, less is always more desirable. I think that it is still a reasonable trade off as the extra power gained from the stability helps to overcome it.

• Like 2

We have all the bulkheads in place that define the structure of the boat,  I am 6 feet 3 inches (191 cm) and I have plenty of room everywhere.  There is a huge amount of storage, and still have 66 gallons on fresh water,  the holding tank is properly sized too.  The icebox area will be insulated with 4 inches on the side and 6 inches on bottom and still have a generous area for the cold plate and  refrigerated area for two. The 2 main berths are a comfortable sitting height when in the settee mode.  We have had much larger boats that were more cramped in the “hi useage” areas.  

BE76ABDF-D1EE-4BA5-B978-AC9E48461124.jpeg

• Like 2

Wasserboot,

I did not know that they made anyone that tall. It is important that can sleep comfortably so I take back my statement that nobody would need a bunk that long. If scaled lengthwise another 5% the midship berths would be 2.16 and the quarter berth would be 2.774 and the length of the boat would be 7.825 long.

• Like 2

There are a few others of us on this forum in the 2m range (I was but I am shrinking). I think we are the standard others aspire to be.

And I appreciate Graham's and other designers willingness to adjust boats to fit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is the current photos of the Mathew Flinders, we have been working intermittently for about 3 weeks,  all the bulkheads are fileted and taped into place, the head bulkheads are just sitting in place (well almost in place!). A very gentlemanly way to build a boat, standing on the outside reaching in!  The “rollbar” is part of the building jig, the inner skin of the cabin will sit on top of the jig, so at 6’3” I have an incredible amount of headroom.  To show scale, Carol is standing in the galley. 

4B7B8E6D-1240-434B-8842-A4308620B4FA.jpeg

CE777703-AF99-499D-94E3-C6B9B6695893.jpeg

E31F17BD-979A-458F-9105-ED5FE5BC500D.jpeg

• Like 4