Mathew Flinders 246

Jknight611

Yoga mats!  The thing about working in the guts of a boat with real compartments and bilges is you need yoga to limber up before crawling in there and yoga after you get done to get the kinks out.  that is a beautiful build.  Envious...of the boat, not the backaches!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have completed my B&B designed windvane prototype for the Flinders.  Take a look!  Still got some clean-up and priming and painting to do but the basic structure is completed.  It will kick up both if it hits something and can be manually pulled up to reverse around the docks.  The horizontal link from the bellcrank to the rudder trim tab has a magnetic connection so it can be disconnected when the vane rudder is retracted.  The main rudder is fixed (doesn’t fold).  The disc on the lower end of the vane tower is for steering adjustment lines.  May just cleat them to the coaming initially but after all the adjustments and general tinkering is done might consider running them around the perimeter of the cockpit just for some added bling!  

C9F4EAB2-D401-4E10-8B96-01C7F3E56861.jpeg

C14F6384-2CDE-4972-A37F-F45DFD5CF40D.jpeg

9F56F28A-AB86-4B0E-8842-C33F986FD7AB.jpeg

7A77A643-57DA-4CF1-8970-D963F08F60D1.jpeg

• Like 1

Me too Steve, that is my plan and I am looking forward to seeing your boat!  The outside is ready ( and has been for several months) to prime/paint.  The fiddly stuff takes time, as we all know!  I probably should quit changing my mind on things, several areas have been remodeled even before I finish. 

Ditto on thinkin’ and sittin’ to contemplate  the next and future steps. It’s part of the fun for me.
Today was busywork on my ski-boat but mostly just fiddlin’ around, trying to make some innovative details work.  Eventual success but not a lot of visible progress. ?

• 2 weeks later...

YES on the messy, sticky stuff that gets everywhere, takes a day to dry and harden after maybe only an hour or two of work (then... wait...).  Then, after it’s all hardened, the stuff shows all the little cleanup spots and rough areas that were overlooked. ?. All part of the fun. 

I hope to see your new boat someday. It looks like quite a beautiful project.

Well you must be getting close to a launching if you are working on the bottom paint. I just Googled CopperCoat and it sounds intriguing. I can see why you said " I hope it works" but I suspect you have researched it pretty well. 

Please keep us posted on how the application goes. 

I used a similar product on my CS17, called Coppaboat (Australian product)

The application was fairly easy. The epoxy copper mix needed to be stirred before loading the paint roller each time, as the copper powder is so heavy it quickly drops to the bottom of the paint tray. Then once cured it was burnished to expose the copper particles.

So far it seems good, just needs a wipe with a sponge once a month to remove any slime. 
The Mathew Flinders looks like being a really capable boat, great build.

43D01F64-1D51-4C01-AB0B-8E22D71319CC.jpeg

78EAAB3E-0EC6-449A-B778-73C7E35BDC02.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Finished the electrical system,  chart table, and galley!  Satisfied to see the Raspberry boot up properly.   Countertops  are Stonecoat, an epoxy with glitter and some color details.  Shiny!

now I am absolutely out of excuses not to start painting outside…./..

E85FD0F2-8B39-468A-BA5E-77FB7E12031D.jpeg

D10AEEBE-B6BD-4791-A7D8-A5F586E62DA2.jpeg

90AE7736-78AE-47F1-9F25-614603FC59DD.jpeg

B4D85463-B981-4454-B121-1318EFCA5FBF.jpeg

319B73F4-34A7-4620-A5A3-3BCC90F2F965.jpeg

• Like 1