Sign in to follow this  
Nick C

Core Sound 20 Mark I #174

I got around to downloading the photos from my shop camera so it is time to report that I have made some progress on Core Sound 20 Mk1 #174. The boat was unfolded last October (I posted a few pics) and I had the naïve idea that I would be launching in the spring. But as someone on this forum said recently, Life Stuff keeps happening. If I was to name my boat after the process of building her, she would be “Timeout”, or “Hiatus”, or similar.

There hasn’t been much on the forum recently about Mk1 boats, but I wanted an open boat for day sailing. We had a Flying Scot for 30 years and sold it to reduce the fleet – we thought we would just sail our larger boat. But we miss it so I decided I would build a replacement. I was on track to build a Spindrift when I fell into a deal on a Nutshell Pram, so I decided to build a Core Sound 17. That idea got upgraded to a Core Sound 20 and Graham and Alan said they could produce a kit. They tweaked the plans and cut out the parts, and early last year I picked up the pieces and got started.

I have recorded most stages since I started and will post a condensed set of more interesting pics. I started out gluing up my centerboard blank while I was waiting for the kit to be cut out. I used some white oak I had – it qualifies as an antique since the tree was >100 years old when it was sawn into boards for a barn that was built >100 years ago. Anyway, it looked like a massive cutting board when it was planed flat by the CNC machine. Then watching the shaping was great. The curves were pretty furry but no match for a belt sander. I prepped the board for painting even though it looks like a craft project…

4784196_02bCBfinishing(6).thumb.JPG.e9e5538e05494c7d14233ac8f1608d41.JPG997104491_02bCBfinishing(2).thumb.JPG.02f31ae37a453750578129fe64fc1ab2.JPG354300969_02cCBrudderglassed(1).thumb.png.6135a6068209ce49a14ac90d82320ba4.png

02a centerboard CNC (1).JPG

The hull was leveled and set to correct measurements, inwales glued in, then chines were tack welded. I did not use a keel batten opting for overlapping biaxial fiberglass tape.

07 clampfest (2).JPG

07 clampfest (3).JPG

08 chine tacked & dryfits (1).JPG

08 keel tacked & filleted (1).JPG

When I dry fitted the seats it seemed like a milestone. Also seen is my idea that I did not want the foredeck hatch so I cut off the bulkhead and extended the seat. I told visitors the hole was for the head.

593514542_08b1stdryfit(1).thumb.JPG.d12c1977cce06609c2adf1a198cb7a9b.JPG

08b 1st dry fit (3).JPG

I picked Alan’s brain about motor mounts and decided on a built-in well in the aft deck.

10 framing and motor well (3).JPG

10 framing and motor well (4).JPG

10 framing and motor well (7).JPG

I added a transom ladder. After going to Capsize Camp and reading some posts, it seemed like longer would be better so I got a 3-step ladder. It is designed for a swim platform so I had to grind off part of the base to get it to lay flat against the transom.

I could see flexing in the transom in my first test, so I added more braces. You can see the revision in the photo.

I tested it by climbing in the boat and now there is no flex. I did not test the inverted position and hope I don’t need to use it that way.

15 transom ladder  1.JPG

15 transom ladder  2.JPG

15 transom ladder  3.JPG

15 transom ladder  4.JPG

Another revision: I decided I didn’t really need the space forward of the centerboard so I closed it off with a bulkhead. Photo shows it just before taping. I wish I had thought of that before I finished the deck there.

I hope that will help with exclusion of dirt, water, mildew, bugs, etc. There should be no habitat loss for insects and spiders since I mitigated by opening up under the foredeck.

16 bulkhead revision (3).JPG

Nick, thanks for documenting the build. And for choosing the CS 20 mk1. I obtained the partially completed hull of #80 three years ago and finished it. It was the boat I wanted since seeing a CS 17 the year before and has proven to be a great choice for  daysailing and short cruises. And it is fun to run past much larger keelboats when the wind is up.

I like your modification of the forward area. I added cargo netting under the foredeck hatch so I can toss in light gear without having it fall to the bottom out of reach. I attached a ladder similar to yours. It has worked well enough. If you can devise a way to have the bottom angle out from the boat it would be easier to use.

Please keep posting pictures.

Good catch on the angle, Reacher. The bracket is designed to hold the ladder at an angle when mounted on top of a swim platform, which obviously won't work on a transom. I added an oak piece under the ladder for it to bear on. I just glued it on so I can plane it off an replace it if/when it gets beaten up.

The photo set is pretty much up to date. Given my track record it may be a while before another update...

15b transom ladder (1).JPG

15b transom ladder (2).JPG

15b transom ladder (3).JPG

She's looking good! I've been trying to decide what size to make my motor well on my CS 20 MK3.  I don't have a small gas motor yet, I have a trolling motor which I hope to use mostly but on longer trips I think I may need the extended capability of the gas engine like a Honda 2.3 or something.  So I need to make sure I make the motor well large enough for that.  I also will be mounting a ladder from Garlick that fits in a tube and deploys out the transom.  Apparently Amos and someone else installed one too. My dilemma is I want to install Graham's wind vane too, I'm just not sure there is enough room on the transom for it all to work as designed, LOL.

Mark, the tube ladder takes up very little room on the transom. I mounted mine to the left of the left longitudinal bulkhead, but I suppose it could be even further outboard. As for the motor mount, take the lack of a design seriously. The reverse transom makes for quite a bit of fiddling to get it right. I bought a Suzuki 2.5 three years ago to make sure I got it right. I also have a Honda 2 I made sure fit. The Honda is quite reliable but loud. At the time the Suzuki (water cooled) didn't have a long shaft version but now does.

BTW, this build looks really sweet.