Core Sound 20 Mark I #174

Nick C

Nice job!  The gasket on the centerboard slot looks like a good idea, if just as a mud squeegy.  My water intake on my CS20.3 for my ballast pump is in the centerboard trunk,  it seems to work well till I just barely tapped  the centerboard into that famous  gray sticky clay, must have gathered a pound or so of mud which promptly glued my centerboard in the up position and filled my ballast tank with  some really foul smelling sticky mud.  

• 2 weeks later...

Finally launched the boat! I was hoping to get it the water in October, so I could say it was one year since unfolding, but I didn't make that. At least I can say it was in 2019.

Rigging was unfinished when I took it to the Messabout so I didn't sail there, but I did get to do a launch test. Alan took photos and a video of the event - the roller bunks worked great. I have since added a couple of centerline rollers.

Back to the garage for rigging and some final details, and today it was calm and warm so we launched this afternoon. Things turned out as I had hoped with only a few glitches, which is why we do beta tests. I have a to-do list: finish rigging, fix sail slides to hoist and drop easily, put on the rubrails, etc., etc., etc. Still learning about the Torqueedo but it made an excellent first impression.

IMG_1592.jpg.615eda0730cda8310326ce6a752163f6.jpg

By the way #174 has a name: Blue Duck. My boats have been named after birds, and this one is blue, so ...  Applying graphics is on the to-do list. More photos to follow.

In case you were wondering, and even if you were not, there really is a blue duck. If you search the web for images you can see a blue drake of the species native to New Zealand. The Maori name is whio and its picture is on the NZ $10 bill. There was also an outlaw of the Old West known as Blue Duck who hung out with Belle Starr, but the boat isn’t named after him.

Blue_duck_whio._(Hymenolaimus_malacorhynchos)_(24080107077).jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for posting those pics Alan. They show the boat is almost done ... but a boat is never really done, right? I have worked on a few minor projects since the launch and have a few reports on my modifications.

First, the below-deck rigging all works well except the main halyard has more friction than desired. I will work on that, and I am planning to put staysail rigging on the deck.

Next, here is an example of design in progress. I was working on a furniture project last winter and made a hatch latch out of scrap pieces. Looked crafty and worked fine. But it looks like a cleat right? And sure enough ... (demo of result in photo happened at inopportune moment while sailing). So I added a couple of ramps to shed the line. But I don't really like this so a new version will come along someday.

handle v.1 c.JPG

handle v.1 a.JPG

handle v.1 b.JPG

handle v.1 d.JPG

handle v.1 e.JPG

Sewing projects: I made long bags for rolling the sails, sheet bags mounted in the boat to control line tangles, and a full cover. The last was in response to my boat turning yellow during pollen season.

I upgraded from a mast carrier on the transom to a light bar. I have done this on a couple of other boats back when light bulbs on trailers failed after submersion, when connections would fail, and when my dog de-wired a trailer. Maybe not needed with LEDs but it is bright and very visible.

cover 3.JPG

cover + light bar 2.JPG

• Like 1