Fabric Repair

benhardt57

The surface of the ramp was very rough, coarse asphalt. I suppose for better traction. It looks like a high point created a 3/4" dimple, cutting through the paint and damaging the fabric, though not a clear through hole.

I had nearly an inch of water after 45 minutes of paddling.

I would just try cleaning it up and repainting.  If there is a 'hole' of any sort maybe a couple of stitches to pull it closed. Hard to say without seeing it. 

If it is latex paint, the first I used wouldn't really soak in the fabric and just sat on top of it. I rubbed the paint off the keel and that boat would seep water not really a leak. I paddled it for a while like that and would need to bail it after an hour or two.  One of the reasons I quite using latex, new stuff may be better though?

I had a similar thing on my Ravenswood.  I cut a small patch of polyester skin, bought some heat n bond, and ironed the patch over the hole area on the inside of the boat.  To seal, I put a few coats of paint over the patch on both the inside and the outside.  Then, I cut a piece of transparent tape like gorilla tape, (I found tape that was thicker), and taped over the hole area on the outside of the boat.  Until I stopped using that kayak, the tape would yellow and start to degrade about once a year so I replaced the tape a few times.  My hole was not on the bottom of the boat but a little further up the hull. I don't think there was any seepage from that spot after the repair.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. 

Maybe because I had some on hand, I settled on paintable caulking. Using a caulking gun I forced it down and inside the damaged fabric. Then using a putty knife I smoothed out the area making it flush with the surrounding area. After a day of cure time, then 3 coats of Rustoleum you can't even tell it was damaged. And it doesn't leak!