Any Moccasin 2 being built?

Guest Sean Dorrington

We have one partially completed in our boat class that has been "resting" for a couple of years. Work should recommence on it when class reconvenes in mid-July. It has been stitched, but not glued. Inwales will be installed before gluing to hold everything in shape. Looks to be pretty straight forward.

• 5 weeks later...

I have what might be referred to as a "renegade" moccasin. I developed my panels from their moccasin idea for a cardboard boat regatta, and was so pleased with the cardboard boat, decided to do a moccasin in plywood.

But alas... it was now July 5, and my nephews would be visiting in early august ... not enough time to order the plans... sooo.. I extrapolated from the pictures and specs and the cardboard patterns and made my version by the same method in 1/4 inch acx ply covered in glass.

She's a sweet little canoe my version turned out about 15' 3" and the seats went in the night my relatives arrived... on the water the next day.

Very nice method. Nice rounded front, on the water not obvious that it is hard chined. quick to build. Mine is heavier than a 4 mm ply version would be, but is about the same weight as a plastic canoe of similar size. I car top it and carry to water single handed. (I made a roller rack for the mini van)

we have fished from it, and paddled for pleasure. I even mounted a couple of boards to strap in a battery, and a stiffener to the rear gunwale, and have run it with a trolling motor.

http://www.riverbendvet.com/newweb/

you can see pics of both the cardboard and wood version.

I highly reccomend ordering and building this little boat

I still feel I owe B and B an order, but that will probably be for the single seat birder for solo paddling, and lightweight transport. I might even do a lighter marine ply moccasin some day.

John

Guest Sean Dorrington

Thanks John for the reply. Your boat looks really good.

Well its a bit late for me to build one cause I ended buying another design. I'm sure this design will be the next project.

Thanks for giving me the confidence in the design.

Sean