Nz ob20 #54

Casey

8 hours ago, Riggs said:

Looks like a fun trip. On a side note i cannot believe what a neat and tidy workspace you keep.

Thanks riggs i clean up at end of each day while im havin a beer, which makes it easier haha.  and dont take progress photos while its a pig stye haha.  it was good. I needed some time away from the build, and the other half was getting a bit short as the boatbuidling consumes my life ?

On 9/12/2019 at 6:46 PM, Casey said:

He's just a rainbow jack in full spawn colors. From lake te anau in fiordland down the south end of new zealand

Finally found a link on "Rainbow Jack" - turns out it's either a NA native rainbow trout if it spends its entire life in fresh water, or what we call a steelhead if it spends part of its life in salt water. Steelhead flesh tends orange, and rainbow, white/beige. AFAIK, the NZ populations  don't inhabit salt water, so that was a very large rainbow trout. Very impressive. The ones we catch (and release) here or buy (usually farmed) are rarely over 1kg. My rule is 1 per person. Applied to grill weekly.

Bet that grilled well!

14 hours ago, rattus said:

Finally found a link on "Rainbow Jack" - turns out it's either a NA native rainbow trout if it spends its entire life in fresh water, or what we call a steelhead if it spends part of its life in salt water. Steelhead flesh tends orange, and rainbow, white/beige. AFAIK, the NZ populations  don't inhabit salt water, so that was a very large rainbow trout. Very impressive. The ones we catch (and release) here or buy (usually farmed) are rarely over 1kg. My rule is 1 per person. Applied to grill weekly.

Bet that grilled well!

Rattus the rainbow trout in our lakes migrate into tributaries that flow into the lake to spawn. there are 3 larger rivers and dozens of smaller streams and creeks scattered around the lake. I also practice catch and release.  Its More of a sport and excuse to get out of the house and use the boat?

14 hours ago, Thrillsbe said:

You clean up at the end of each day???

What a novel idea.  I’ll have to try that sometime.

You’re doing a beautiful job.

Thrillsbe clean up equals beer time?

And thanks.. taking longer than first anticipated with work and a newborn keeping hands full but ill get there

Thanks fot the complements everyone.

What is everybody thoughts in relation to radius chines v s sharp chines.

I use to race sailing dinghys and i know sharp chines are more slippery tha  rounded chines. I also think it looks nicer sharp if they are true and fair. But they also damage easy, and its hard to build up paint on the edge and have it last. I guess im asking for everyones preference, i cant make up my mind.. 

11 hours ago, Casey said:

I use to race sailing dinghys and i know sharp chines are more slippery tha  rounded chines. I also think it looks nicer sharp if they are true and fair. But they also damage easy, and its hard to build up paint on the edge and have it last. I guess im asking for everyones preference, i cant make up my mind.. 

......................And a sharp chine has more surface area and lift onto a plane.  Damned because it's all related.  Yup, that's a good summery of the situation.

When you are in the thick of it the natural thing to do is obsess over the details. Probably a good thing for the most part. I obsessed over the chine edges and spoke to Alan about it. Long story short, I compromised and sharpened the aft edge at the transom and put a slight radius on the sides. Rosie gets up on plane effortlessly and is very fuel efficient. Perhaps the extra effort to round the chines would have been worthwhile but I doubt it would have been noticeable to me. One of the hardest things to decide on any big project is how much time you want to spend on some of the details. Perfect is the enemy of the good. I repeat that every day.