• Similar Content

• By jshaley
      I am seeing some beautiful Stonefly's launched year, can someone share a rough weight estimate. Looking for a pack canoe that can haul my 240lb self and gear for a long weekend. Fairly adapt at packing light.
    • By Omar Mir
      Finally got a chance to take the canoe out on a real backcountry camping expedition. Needed to create a removable yoke to portage (1KM) on my shoulders. Went superb. I do need a better shaped/contoured yoke, I'll do that this month so that my second trip in September is more comfortable as I will have pretty large hills to portage. I figured you folks might enjoy some pictures of the picturesque lake and the canoe (and fish). And yep the barrel contains all supplies for multiple days including tent etc/

Yoke is made with poplar (like the floorboards) and the hardware is a woodworking cam clamp, and 4in bolts/washers (galvanized steel). And yep I add a backrest seat before I go out to give some back support. Yoke pattern from here. Would not recommend the yoke though, a contoured/deep dish yoke is substantially better and will be my next build for this canoe.

360 shot of campsite: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xsoF9JWFoj4GoDGM8

• By Omar Mir
      Thanks everyone for really helping with answering my questions (my many questions!). I promise I post a full write-up summarizing everything I learned as this was my first real woodworking project and post pictures. I just had a few (hopefully final) questions on the stonefly canoe:
      I bought WRC - I would like to get the baltic birch ply to match the WRC with a stain - any stains that would make em match? I would prefer to leave the WRC unstained. Or am I just being crazy and I can leave it? I'm thinking, WRC for gunnels/stringers, baltic birch for frames, ash for seat and thwarts, maybe walnut or cherry for breasthooks - that is a lot of different colours. Is that going to look fine oiled or should I be trying to stain some of it to match? How thick of a wood is needed for breasthooks? So I'm just (maybe) staining the wood and then oiling it with a rag? Thats it? Anything else I should be doing? plywood maybe twice? I'm doing a dry fit first with the frames and the stringers, then removing the stringers and oiling everything first and then assembling it - read a few other people that did that - seem ok? What exactly am I using on the fabric? Can I get a link just so that I buy the exact right thing? I went to home depot yesterday and there was a million choices and I left a bit overwhelmed. Paddle - what kind of paddle would be ideal? I know a lot of people like the greenland style but I'm an avid canoeist and I've always used a single blade paddle. I' m happy to try the double blade but what exactly would be the ideal shape/type of paddle for this canoe? Thwarts - a lot of people seem to be placing them below the gunnels - I was going to place them between the inwales. Is that ok? Has anyone tried bending a wooden rubstrip instead of brass? Sound like a bad idea given the sharp angle?  
      I have the assembly manual but some of the stuff seems to assume some knowledge which I don't have and the internet makes a million suggestions which makes it a bit confusing at times. If this turns out well, maybe next year I can try the expedition 2 person canoe Jeff just released. And maybe a kayak for myself...i might be developing a problem.
    • By Omar Mir
      Hey guys on the website and the book Jeff mentions staples with a tapered end. Are these the right ones? I just found them randomly and only one pack in the store.

I've been looking around and these are all I've found. This is for the stonefly canoe.

• By Omar Mir
      What would you recommend if I wanted to add a brass rub strip later? Can I staple it for now? Or must I stich it? If I stich it can I still put on a rubstrip later?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.