Phosphorescence - stonefly launch in Melbourne Australia

Launch day at the Yarra river. We call her phosphorescence.

Found a canoe launching jetty on the river with the carpark only 60m away. I was first out as I figured if it is going to sink then it should be the captain who goes down with the ship. Well it didn't leak a drop nor did anyone capsize. The canoe is an absolute delight to use. Light, fast and stable and turns OK. I can see it part of the family fleet going on camping trips.

Four of us had a go from 50kgs to 100kgs (I was worried about my seat but it didn't break with 100kgs) The seat is very comfortable though I will have to fashion a thwart/backrest as the skinny temporary one digs in to the back. I will make one that extends up level with the top of the gunnel and maybe a little lower to give about 100mm of support. The only other negative thing to say is the white fabric being white and uncoated inside is prone to getting grubby particularly as the Yarra river is mud and bird shit on the banks.

But I am really happy with it and am keen to get some more water time. A great design Jeff.

I have just made a greenland paddle and am working on a hoist system in the garage now.

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

• 2 months later...