Ground Tackle

Kennneee

Hi Guys- I am getting close to launching Rosie my Outer Banks 26. She is similar in size, weight and windage to a Bluejacket.  I am putting my ground tackle together and would love to hear from you about your choices and how it has served you.  The last time I was doing this was outfitting a heavy displacement cruising sailboat. Four heavy  anchors (one to use, two to lose and one for a storm). All chain rode, etc. This time around the boat is very different and so should my approach be.

There is a  new crop of anchors which are in vogue that I have no experience with. They sound like a big improvement over the old CQR, BRUCE, etc. I bought a 22lb. ROCHNA as my primary anchor. The charts call for 3/8” nylon for the rode. I am sure it is strong enough but wonder about it chafing through to easily as well as being hard on the hands. I intend to try using Rosie without a windlass and being able to grip the line comfortably is important. Going to large and the elasticity is gone, however. The charts also call for a length of 1/4” HT chain which seems best suited as a piece of jewelry to me. Don’t want to much weight in the bow but weight is a partly why you use a length of chain.

What anchors have you used? What size and length of chain and line etc? Lots of the nylon line on the market is made in China such as the SEADOG brand. Any experience with the quality?

Any input? Thanks.

Ken

Ken... On DeDe we also used a Rochna with about 15 feet of 5/16 chain ? and 200 ft of 1/2 3 strand line.. Only had one drag and that was my own fault as I did not get a good set and did not expect a big blow that night.  Wife was able to pull with out too much trouble ... occasionally I had to had to assist with a little engine help to break it free.. Not close to boat at this time so can not check.. Hope we get to visit toward the end of August.. Will communicate when we are getting ready to leave Alaska.. Henry

Deltaville (1).jpg

I'm not an expert in anchoring.  Since I need to be able to do things alone I'm using a winch.  I jut got an 8 plait 200 ft rode with 15 ft chain.  The winch was jamming up my 3 strand rode.  The anchor is a 14 lbs Lewmar delta anchor.  The actual anchor to use depends on the bottom structure.  The plow anchor seems to work in our mud hole.  I get it to set a lot easier than the West Marine fluke anchor that I started out with.

We had to anchor in Beaufort NC  after leaving the boat show there and getting caught in a bad storm.  There was a lot of wind and current but it held good.

Must be exiting to getting close to launching.  I am looking forward seeing more pictures of your boat, the ones in the past looked astonishing.  (Just found some pictures on Google)

Egbert

Thanks Egbert. I took 5 months off for some travel and sun and Rosie didn’t finish herself while I was gone. I returned on April Fools day and have made some good progress since then. The motor is installed and a bit of the wiring is done. I have thought if you a number if times as I have been running wires. Your electrical system is awe inspiring. I will get some pics up soon.

Ken