5 oz cloth question

Mark Gudschinsky

Denis,

Instead of a sharp edge, it is eased by creating a radius on the edge. In the case of using fiberglass to reinforce the joints, the weakest point is the joint itself. If the joint is eased or radiused, the cloth will conform better to the material it is applied to and form a solid joint. In the case of applying fiberglass to cover the material, the weakest point will be at the joint where it is wrapping around a corner. If it is radiused or eased, the cloth again maintains its strength and it doesn't crack at that point. The smallest practical radius would be about 1/4", anything larger is better. It also helps to establish a better contact between the fiberglass cloth and the wood below. Smaller radius corners tend to pull the cloth away from the wood below as it is wetted out leaving a hollow or dry spot below it. That weakens that area and can cause problems.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

We used the 5 oz. cloth from Raka on Star Chaser and found that 3/8" really works best. You can get away with 1/4" but you have to be careful of how you work the epoxy into the cloth. I used a 3/8" radius on the chines and 1/2" on all the inside radiuses'. We used a 2 3/8" radius on the keel to bottom fillet. I used a 1/4" radius on the stern block and had a terrible time keeping the glass down.

Save yourself the headach and plan on using at least 3/8" or larger radius.

Bob

I would agree whole heartedly. The larger the radius, the better the contact and the easier it is to work with it. If you are using heavier fiberglass cloth, it will need a larger radius yet. Doesn't matter whether it is an inside radius or outside radius. Larger is better on boats for a lot of reasons. This is just one. :D:D

Yep, you have to have a radius, I agree wholehartedly with the general concensus. I tried glassing over a small radius (at the chines) and it was a bugger to get that stuff to stay there... Make the radiuses as big as possible. Especially on deck... it's also easier to get the dirt out when you clean up.

I am glad this subject came up... I was thinking about overhanging the seat about 1", actually moving the vertical seat fronts back an inch, but this would be a pain to glass.

I want to glass, so I have two options: either do original plan or thicken the seat lip so it is thick enough for the radius. I think about 3/4" would do it (full semi-circle not just a quarter-circle)

Phil