fabric finish paint

bigtoepony

Sorry to bring up this topic again but it may be slightly different from this side of the world (Australia).

I am building a stonefly canoe and would like to have my 9oz polyester fabric translucent and preferably with the fabric dyed brown/tan before the finish is applied.

What is the best finish to use?. For Americans responders please specify type of finish rather than brand name. I was thinking a single pot oil based polyurethane like an Australian product - Estapol which is designed for interior woodwork. I know some people use 2 part polyurethane on nylon but would that work or be better for polyester? 

My canoe will get little use and will live inside my garage most of the time so UV exposure fairly minimal.

Any tips appreciated.

Tony

That is hard to answer not knowing what you have available. But I can say oil based products do the best. If you can find a clear oil based poly or Varnish, as long as they dry to hard finish that should work. Even if you store it inside I would try ti fond something with UV protection.

There used to be a water clear finish available here, no idea exactly what it was but it tintable and very durable. It went away but you might have something similar if you do some searching on the internet.

I don't think anyone on this forum has tried a 2 part LPU.  I would think it would crack like spider webs.  The paint is hard and brittle over a flexible surface.  I used oil based porch and deck enamel as it foot the bill and could be custom mixed to a bazzilion colors shown on chips.