Core Sound 20 Mk3 #23 - Williamsburg, VA

Mark et all:

thank you one and all for the many excellent suggestions. I will first attempt to tie the mast to a tree outback with a series of hitches the get my neighbor who’s a power lifter and myself to pull on the sleeve. If unsuccessful I’ll switch to oil filter wrench and if that fails make a longitudinal cut to open her up enough. I’ll keep you posted with pictures this weekend. Todd out.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On 02 April we drove to the factory and picked up the kit using the modified catamaran’s trailer. As predicted, upon arrival the skies opened up and made for a drenching experience while loading.  Pri

As the good folks at Morgan Yacht shop used to say back in my young days. "Don't force it---get a bigger hammer!"

On Summer Breeze, my well worked fine as far as swiveling and being deep enough to not cavitate---except when I went forward. Mine was a short shaft motor. The problem for my boat was that the box was

Posted Images

Todd— earlier, you were discussing tiller locks.  This is the one I plan to add to my boat.  The original idea comes from the Roger Barnes videos.  This guy figured it out, and made this video.  iI tbi k I’d add a bit of shock cord to ti, however.

• Like 1

That's how I've done my tiller tamers for years.

I use small diameter non stretch line attached under each inwale with a snap hook so I can remove it if I want to. It then loops through an eye bolt under the tiller and is controlled by shockcord attached to another snap hook. The tension is adjustable with the shockcord in a V cleat. 

The beauty of this system is that you can always override it as its just friction holding the tiller but you can set the resistance to match the conditions.

I first saw this in a book about cruising around England in the 1930's. They didn't have shockcord but used surgical rubber.

Cheers

Peter HK

• Like 1

I've had that same setup on quite a number of boats. It's superior and also inexpensive.  The nice part is there is no instruction required if you ask somebody  to steer and you can nudge the tiller with your feet, shin or whatever to make course corrections.

• Like 1

This is my preferred clutch hands down. They are simple and very satisfying to use. The inventor Pete Crawford is a NC native. We plan to sell these in our store soon. Had one on Dawn Patrol and one on Southern Skimmer. The knots in the line in the pic below also act as end stops for rudder travel. 

http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/

ACtC-3cMInudYQOh4IScjzJA_M_-iv9U3siOLLoR

• Like 1