CS 20 PHOTOS...(what engine to get too?)

Not much done since last week for a variety of reasons but in a way I am happy about that as when it is finished...I will not have something to go and see. (follow that logic if you can)

But, centreboard pilot hole drilled and board trimmed. That caused a bit of thought but seems to be fine now.

Have been looking at outboards and the Mercury/Mariner 5hp looks pretty good to me as a compromise. What has everyone else done? The 3.5hp looks too small but it would be my first choice due to light weight etc.

I just feel the day you need a motor is the day you need one but the 6hp look too big and heavy.

I am keen to hear others experiences.

Rob

http://homepage.mac.com/blackburns/PhotoAlbum38.html

Rob,

That's a good question and one I have been thinking of for quite a while now. I am thinking along the lines of the Honda 2 four stroke. Super light weight, air cooled, integral gas tank, etc. Probably too small to move the CS20 upwind or upcurrent all that well but as an auxillary it might be a good choice. I will mount mine on a lightwieght bracket off the transom. For me the weight is the deciding factor. I am interested in what others think.

Pat

I had a look at a Honda 2hp and it looked a lot bulkier than the 3.5 2 stroke mercury.

It is a hard one. I am inclined to think the 5hp but you would not take it every where you went. Day down the river with a bit of breeze, not needed but if you head off somewhere eg out the bar into the ocean then you probably should. I just have this vision of 20 knots, masts up with sails rolled up causing windage and me trying to get up the river against the tide. Sounds more like the 5hp all the time I reckon.

I hope to borrow one of each after launch to try first if possible.

Rob

Guest Anonymous

Ok guys,

I kinda lean toward the "Smaller is better" school of thought.

The guys with the Sea Pearls all seem to like the 2hp four-stroke Honda.

Last year, or the year before, one of them towed another much of the way back from the Dry Tortugas to Key West...against the wind.

A Sea Pearl is much heavier than a CS20.

A 5hp would go faster.

A 25hp would go eaven faster.

You might run it by Ron Hodinott. He has one on his Sea Pearl.

choddin1@tampabay.rr.com

Rob,

I used both a Honda 5HP and a Nissan 5HP to move my Catalina wing keeled boat up and down the river here and out onto the big lake. The Cat22 is a much heavier displacement type boat than yours will be. These are 4 cycle engines and weigh about 70LBS if my recall is correct. Can you use 2 cycle engines there? The 5HP 2 cycle is around 50LBS.

Personally, I would think the 3.5HP would be pleanty unless you want to plane the boat. :lol:

I am really in 2 minds. I guess it really will be resolved once I get the boat in the water. I guess I have never used an outboard that small either. My last one was 25hp and that is way too big.

Shall try and borrow something after launching.

Turned the boat over on Friday. Keel and centreboard nearly all finished this afternoon.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...