"Catnip" -- a Two Paw 7 . .

Pete McCrary

• 2 weeks later...

Considering towing -- first I have to get the little boat onto the big boat.  Although each half is only a little over 30 lbs -- each not having "handles," it's not easy to lift either over Chessie's cockpit coaming and into the big boat.  So, here's my design concept.

image.thumb.jpeg.ff0a77e1f8f31baa238c6adf0481ebdc.jpeg

The problem -- a tall guide-on in the way.  And the coaming about chest-high.

image.thumb.jpeg.0ba3f9897ede2cf0c4043efd9bd2bc2f.jpeg

Temporarily remove the guide-on and make a wooden extension.  Fabricated a cedar board with a channeled "leg" to be strapped to the wooden extension of the guide-on.  The underside of the aft end of the cedar board is resting on the coaming.

image.thumb.jpeg.48e037ca69c55c0b9fe230191b7b20d9.jpeg

The loading board firmly in position.  The forward end has notches that rest over the toe-rail and dodger coaming on the cabin roof.

Now I still need a simple lifting rig so that (without any help) I can get each half of the nesting dinghy onto the bridge deck.  Here's my idea -- a couple of hooks cut from 1/2" ply made to fit over the gunwale and bumper.  Here's a gross sketch:

image.thumb.jpeg.f2b5cac35f560d7b3139d28092dda02b.jpeg

Next, I'll figure out a way loop the pair over a one-half boat with its interior facing away from me and the bottom facing me & it's centerline horizontal, I'll then place the hooks over the lower gunwale and raise (by pulling up on lines rigged to the hooks) the half-boat so that the [upper gunwale] will go up and over the loading board and onto the bridge deck.

Do you think i can make it work OK as a practical matter?  I'm going to give it a try.  SUGGESTIONS WELCOME !!

Attached is a sketch of the design concept showing relative positions of trailer, big-boat, a half-boat and the loader (approximately to scale).

image.thumb.jpeg.e824aeefaeb715b4a684c0115213c2de.jpeg

I'll need one hook and approximately 10 feet of large diameter line (for easier purchase).  The loading board will already be in place.  Its high [fwd] end will be a little over 5' 2" high (and lower [aft] end) about 4' 3" high.  The trailer fender is about 26" high.  Standing close to the FWD half-boat (bow to the left) I'll raise it about 26" and rest its lower gunwale on the fender while gently pushing it against the loading board.  At that point its "tipping point" will only need to be raised another 12" or so.  By raising the half-boat (while simultaneously pushing against it) to its tipping point -- it can then be rotated over the edge of the loading board and onto the bridge deck.

The AFT half-boat is loaded the same way (but transom to the left).  Once over the tipping point, instead of sliding it onto the bridge deck, it is placed over the top of the FWD half-boat.  Then remove the lifting rig and adjust the two half-boats so that they nest comfortably.  They are very closely restricted (fore & aft) by the mizzen mast and cabin bulkhead -- and need only be tied down restricting verticle & side-to-side movement.

Unloading should be close to a reverse of the loading procedure.

DOES ANYONE think that I can MAKE THIS WORK SOLO?  Comments, suggestions, WELCOME.

I might think about lifting the dinghy (half) over the lowest point of the coaming then bringing it forward on its side along the seat to get it in position.  Maybe even over the transom. I’m suggesting this without knowing the layout of any obstacles such as trailer fenders, etc. It’s usually easier to move something when you get it at your own level.

Pete-  now you’ve got me thinking about my Two Paw 8.  The plan is to have it in the bed of my pickup truck.  Now I’m wondering about that first lift— the bow section out of the stern section, while it’s still in the truck.  That’s gonna be interesting.

Don -- It takes a lot of thinking and trial-erra-try-again & again to "get-it-right."  Or something close to it.  My concept of the hook & rope rig is going to work out -- but it needs a better understanding and somelot refinements.  Lifting the bow-half out of the stern-is much easier than lifting the stern-half off of the bow-half.  If you have the space (overhead), it's easier to first tilt them (while nested) up with the nesting bulkheads down and level.  Then the bow-half can easily be slid out of the stern-half.

This weekend I'll try various improvements and post resulting photos.

• 1 month later...

GUESS WHAT? -- All that thought and work for a hook to aid in lifting "Catnip" and her parts was for naught!  Not necessary!

I drilled a 3/4" hole in the aft end of the skeg (just like the one in the bow-transom for the painter).  I just needed those holes and the ones available in each of 5 [empty] oar locks -- along with two lengths of 5/8" old discarded sheet lines.  Experimenting with those tools I learned how to lift, carry, and manipulate each half dinghy with no extreme exertion or bodily hazard.  Also, with two lines on the foreward half, I could easily align it for coupling with the aft half -- and keep it in position (with one hand) while tightening the nesting bolts with the other hand.  All done solo.

At this point (in the launching process) there is a 7' dinghy weighing about 58 lbs on a grass spot near the ramp parking lot.  To get the assembled boat to the water's edge, I just tilt her up on one of her gunwales, tuck the tongue of a small hand-truck under it, and then pull the other gunwale up to the truck's handle -- off we go wheeling towards the water's edge -- everything under control.  The hand-truck is easily carried in the pickup.  Here's a photo of it:

image.thumb.jpeg.f66277f1bf2158d04ae034bae0dd5e60.jpeg

I think the hand-truck is a better solution for land-side transport than an "undercarriage" which must be placed under the centerline of the boat.  And, usually, the undercarriage must be securely attached to its cargo.  Whereas the upside gunwale is easily held (or lashed) against the hand-truck.

After building my cedar-stripped canoe in 2001, I installed a lift in our garage (which had a very high ceiling) where I could stow the canoe which weighed about 70 lbs.  The lift had a x6 purchase.  That's where I now stow Catnip.  Here are photos showing the close encounter with Annie's little Hyundai.

image.thumb.jpeg.9eca51babe7db4ede80d732505ab6505.jpeg

The lifting lines slightly pinch the bumpers.  I'll relocate the lines to ease the pinching.  The aft & midship seats, painter, bailer, and small anchor are stowed on the aft lifting beam (a 1 x 6).  I could keep them somewhere else -- but here, they are lass likely to be left at home.

image.thumb.jpeg.4a72e63a64f4178a99c6a8517e2ce4a3.jpeg

A couple of inches to spare.  The pickup wouldn't fit.

image.thumb.jpeg.a83d6dbdd3241e2851c49c3c67ac10ba.jpeg

The lifting pullies with x6 purchase.  The tail end has a built-in jam clutch for ease of lifting.  Releasing is a two handed job -- one to keep the jam-clutch open and the other (gloved) hand for releasing the line.

I've just ordered a sailing Spindrift 10 which will replace Catnip when she's sold with Chessie.  Yes, Chessie will be available for sale over the next two sailing seasons.  During that time she will be available for demonstration sails or other close looks (inspections).  Thinking of a transfer maybe at the October 2020 Messabout.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the last job for Catnip -- leathers for her oars.  The stitching for the oar on the right was done first.  I think it's fair to say: There's no substitute for experience.

image.thumb.jpeg.0a902baacfa23d81f01a53452f50d78b.jpeg

The buttons ends have a tapered overlap (~ a 6/1 scarf).  The buttons are secured with a #6 3/4" SS truss-head WS at each end and two more screws at 120 and 240 degrees.  No glue.  We'll see if they hold up ok.

Here's a view of the entire length.

image.thumb.jpeg.3fdefcb9b1d4570cb9dfab9e0db2b076.jpeg

Chessie is entering the Corsica River YC's 78th Annual Regatta on July 27.  She will transport Catnip in her cockpit to the launch ramp on the Chester River.  Over the weekend Catnip will enjoy her maiden voyage and "river trials."  Report to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't find and bronze screws -- so SS it is!

Catnip had her maiden voyage this weekend.  Here are a few pixs:

image.thumb.jpeg.c64d9274aca14445b0f1571b9a080583.jpeg 

Standing by at the ramp dock. -- Rolphs Wharf Marina and B & B . .

Chester River, Maryland.

image.thumb.jpeg.1a4a1e7cdd5ad371fd3a80f4aaeb62f1.jpeg

Being towed just after sunset traversing from Rock Hall YC to the Corsica River YC's 78th Annual Regatta.  She's in the 2nd trough of the stern waves.  I think she slowed us down by one knot.

image.thumb.jpeg.37eacd80263680a159d37d43e1a7f65f.jpeg

Just a little later.

She rows very nicely.  More importantly, she's fairly easy to board from Chessie's cockpit.  I just sit on the coaming with my feet outboard and on Catnip's bottom.  Holding Catnip close to Chessie's side, I can place my feet at the centerline of Catnip -- swing myself into Catnip while transferring my hands the the dinghy's gunwales while keeping my CG low.  Reboarding is a little tricker.