"Catnip" -- a Two Paw 7 . .

Pete McCrary

Hey guys!  I just accidentally deleted the previously existing build.  Later I'll replace the most interesting photos.  But here is an "update" to the most recent progress.

Nearing completion and the end of epoxy work -- the keel was installed yesterday and the 2nd coat of neat epoxy applied.  Note that the hulls have been "faired," and she's now ready for primer and paint.

image.thumb.jpeg.33d1ad69c92fa35a1ee6b7d1759df733.jpeg

Fairing completed, ready to join for keel.

image.thumb.jpeg.d63d4f521623d438be82df635603aa54.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.26e12b708e69bc8671396fbeba214813.jpeg

Aft end dry-fitted with screws -- the extended fwd end held in tension with wire loop slipped over its end.  At this point screw pilot holes were drilled and the screws installed firmly indexing the keel's location.  Next remove keel, separate the two parts, and prep all faying surfaces for gluing.

image.thumb.jpeg.625e7a74e15c3d03e5936d0876b239f4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1af8aa068d9f348ed51164699728954c.jpeg

After gluing:

image.thumb.jpeg.48dbd28e4bff0703d076a7513134f751.jpeg

Next the keel will be cut and the ends trimmed.

Steve,

I like to glass tape the nesting bulkheads to the hull halves which crosses the centerline under the keel so that it can all be cleaned up prior to adding the keel. It is not hard to cut though the keel after the epoxy has cured to re-separate the hull halves.

• Like 1

The Two Paw 7 was started back in early 2018 and was interrupted by that year's sailing season.  Her name "Catnip" was suggested by Steve Warfle as the intended tender to my CS20.3 -- named "Chessie" after the C & O RR's sleeping kitten -- which previously was named after our beloved Chesapeake Bay.  Here are a few of the "build" photoes that were accidentally deleted.

image.thumb.jpeg.fd19624a4de9603c1ea0f81d4ff03213.jpeg

The nesting bulkheads.

image.thumb.jpeg.efca52906d4de163550b7bee90b9920f.jpeg

Cradle and build setup.

image.thumb.jpeg.cdb34748b2455808957d0db643074cba.jpeg

Going 3-D -- the first step.

image.thumb.jpeg.257cd09921958308de72105b6dfa8bdd.jpeg

3-D complete.

image.thumb.jpeg.f3bf9e531a794c6b05e5ae8002e5c8be.jpeg

Getting ready for the bottom.

image.thumb.jpeg.8180204f4c3ddf0ae2968dc518338d9c.jpeg

The all-important gunwales.

image.thumb.jpeg.33c70d643bf20a3ee53383f1bf29a474.jpeg

Port & Stbd glued at-the-same-time to preserve semmetry.  The end pieces are temporary to provide purchase for the extended gunwales.  The kit provided pressure treated 1/4" strips to be x3-laminated for each side.  But they became (over time) severely warped -- so I found some cedar clear of enough knots to rip 6 eight foot pieces.  Hopefully, the cedar will hold up over time.

image.thumb.jpeg.2f6970d545bff4350245676315b17d77.jpeg

Ready for trimming.

image.thumb.jpeg.1e355a8b460549879bf36bb393a31f8f.jpeg

Flotation tanks and aft seat supports.

More in the next posting.

Here are the rest of the photos.

image.thumb.jpeg.434c6355b528c3ece0875917a25a7f99.jpeg

I tilted her so I wouldn't have to fight gravity while gluing on the tank sides.

image.thumb.jpeg.7c218d158f6416c9223a723b526d85c5.jpeg

Cleats ready for the tank sides.

image.thumb.jpeg.b962640eb9f604c6c54589b4c1ef1bf4.jpeg

A place to stow stuff in the tank and still be useful for flotation.

image.thumb.jpeg.a8beccbee7b7f7f1e6a5b5516014e372.jpeg

The aft seat will be held in place with a bungee cord.

image.thumb.jpeg.9d8880e90cf57d2bdc5fc2f03987d830.jpeg

The styrofoam will go into the open space under the mid-ship seat.  It's hard to get at anyway.  The space under the removable seat is still available for stowage.

image.thumb.jpeg.9c5afaa5937ee5036597e2ecfabfd625.jpeg

Annie, ready to help with cutting Catnip in half.  Note the hold-down bungee at aft end of the keel.

image.thumb.jpeg.d7a00d51b774cba82d432ab2575377ea.jpeg

Turned her over.  Annie is so pleased -- she signals "no hands" now.

image.thumb.jpeg.98d9ddab0040d6df5b59b249fe9b24ea.jpeg

This is the last cut.  The nesting Blks were spaced with small pieces of 1/16" cardboard.  I used a Japanese "pull saw" with a thin blade.  But they are so sharp I had to be especially careful to keep it from "drifting" and cutting into the Blks.  But the glue used to place the cardboard pieces was harder (than the Blk wood) and there was a little "drifting" of the blade.  That was later corrected with fairing compound.

The video shows Annie and I "nesting" the two halfs.  Press the "arrow" to view the 30 second video.  I don't know why there is no "postage-stamp" image.

Ain't technology wonderful. You slave away at recording your deepest thoughts and pictures of the most interesting details, and, "POOF", a slip of the finger, momentary lapse of concentration, and it's GONE forever. I often do it. Dang. Never happened with the old typewriter and camera negatives.

1 hour ago, Chick Ludwig said:

Ain't technology wonderful. You slave away at recording your deepest thoughts and pictures of the most interesting details, and, "POOF", a slip of the finger, momentary lapse of concentration, and it's GONE forever. I often do it. Dang. Never happened with the old typewriter and camera negatives.

Hmmm, I guess we all have selective memories.  I remember after hours of work on a paper and I go back and find I misspelled a word, or smudged ink.  ?

And when I started my law practice in 1977 my secretary and I had to use an IBM typewriter and carbon paper because I couldn't afford a Xerox copier for the office.  It was like the dark ages.  On the other hand, I wonder how historians (a hundred years from now) will be able to root out true history?  Where will they find and authenticate uncorrupted ones & zeros (recorded as invisible electrons, micro magnets, photons, etc).  Won't the number of  ones & zeros approach or exceed the total of all protons, electrons, neutrons, etc in the universe?  I'm glad I won't be my problem.

19 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

Hmmm, I guess we all have selective memories.  I remember after hours of work on a paper and I go back and find I misspelled a word, or smudged ink.  ?<span>

My dad, who was an accountant, always told me to "check and double check" my homework. To this day, I try to check over what I write before posting it, but, after posting I'll go back and read it and almost always find a misspelled word, word not capitalized that should be, bad grammar, or...   So I edit it, check it, and re-post it. Then when I look it over again, guess what! And this is WITH spell checker. I just don't understand it cawse I alwaze spel gud, and mever nake misteaks.

• Like 1

When I did mine I carried the bottom and topside paints around onto the nesting bulkheads as if they were separate boats.  It's funny how a contrasting color can leak out of a seam at you.

edit:  BTW, even though I try to stay out of color discussion, just for the record, white w/green is the perfect combination.

Edited by Hirilonde
add

On 3/14/2019 at 8:11 PM, Pete McCrary said:

Green also goes nicely with buff tan -- remember the Jaguar sports car with a buff tan canvas top and British racing green body?

Buff/tan is one of those colors that doesn't count.  It can be used with anything.  That is why I think it is the best choice for canvas work like dodgers and covers, or the soft top on a Jaguar.  Even if the lines of the canvas work aren't what you want to see, it is almost like you can pretend it isn't there, it doesn't seem to distract.

• 1 month later...

Catnip is finished!  Here are a few photos:

image.thumb.jpeg.376e744884d5175d8b2c1470d1cafeb2.jpeg

Later I'll modify the fwd corners so that the rubber part of the bumper is the first to hit something.

image.thumb.jpeg.16e8efa98a0ef20952ce75ac005102e1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.604ae679bfb122b3b3ef70f178fa0d11.jpeg

Notice the deck-plate on the aft port-side flotation tank.

image.thumb.jpeg.26be9731f7eb21d52e3ae8a16206c81f.jpeg

She has five oar locks.  Two rowing positions and one on the transom.  They come in pairs and one was defective.  West Marine replaced the bad one (welding lumps on the inside) with A PAIR and didn't want me to return any.  So, I ended up with 5 good ones for the cost of two pair.

Each half weighted just about 29 lbs (without the oarlocks or removable seats).  They would add about 3 more pounds and both oars (together) weight 5.5 lbs.  Total all-up weight about 65 lbs (including oars).  Next I'll post (on Chessie's build) the results of the "dry fit" of the nested Catnip with Chessie's cockpit.

Dave, installing the bumpers was a "bear" of a job.  It's nearly impossible to do it solo.  Annie would ordinarily help, but her hands just don't have the strength anymore.  I lucked out when Silvia (former aerospace engineer from Argentina, now a part-time upholster) came to my shop (to give an estimate for recovering the antique rocker in my shop) -- and admired Catnip on the workbench ready for her bumper.  I asked if I could also hire her to assist me installing the bumper.  She was essential in getting the job done.  We routinely (when our arms would tire stretching the bumper or holding up the heavy drill) switched jobs drilling pilot holes and screwing in the #6 truss head screws (hidden) and finish washers & screws (visible).  And using her upholstering skills she covered the exposed ends (on the transom) with leather.  At 3" spacing, that was just under 200 screws!  It took us almost 4 hours.  She wouldn't charge me -- but I insisted that she at least include an amount when she finishes the antique rocker.  She probably won't.  She clearly enjoyed being part of the project.  Annie and I were very happy that she joined us for lunch, out treat.

Yes, she should be a light tow.  But I won't do that until I've perfected loading her into Chessie's cockpit.  And because the risk of falling into the drink is higher when transferring from mother ship to dinghy -- I also want to have Chessie's reboarding ladder in good working order.

• Like 1