New fabric shrinking

vttramper

I have built several boats with the old 8oz fabric and had good results heat shrinking the skin. The new 9oz fabric is described as having less shrinkage and "should be sewn tight". Should I plan on sewing pockets at the ends and stretching the skin onto the frame (as with nylon)? 

Thanks

Steve

Never use pockets and try to stretch polyester over a boat unless you just like frustration. ?   Polyester has very little stretch and you will never get it on the boat.  

My latest videos cover skinning. Part 6 is more about the laminated coaming but it deals witht new 9 oz.
Part 7 I finish up the skinning and show sewing it on tight.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jeff

Thanks for the quick response - somehow I missed it until tonight! The videos are helpful, and bring back the time I spent stitching up my Ravenswood a few years ago. I actually found that whole process very relaxing. Go figure. My current project is a canoe, however, so I'll just plan on working the fabric as taut as I can while I do the stapling at gunwales. The bow and stern may be a little tricky, but from the ironing work you show at the end of the Shad part 7 video, it looks like small wrinkles can be dealt with, with so I think I'll be OK.

Thanks again for your help!

Steve