Sign in to follow this  
Scott Dunsworth

10 year spindrift project

I started this spindrift over 10 years ago, it got set aside for other projects shortly after I got started. But I was needing something to do this winter that would fit in the garage so out she came. The bottom of the hull is 1/4 inch meranti and the sides are 3mm oakume planked with 1/4 inch mahogany. The transom is rounded mahogany and the front deck is mahogany and birdseye maple. I'm moving along at a good pace now so I will bee posting a few pictures along the way for those that are interested. There is a lot of customizing of this boat, its the basic design with some pretty's added. She will come in 40 to 50 pounds over weight I'm sure but she will sure be purty!

Heres a pic of the deck roughed in.

MVC-021S.JPG

• Like 2

Yea Chic the one I brought you had all the seats and bulkheads in. This one was not very far along, just past folded open with the front bulkhead in and most side planking. I actually bought rights to three so I still got one that's not started.

MVC-036S.JPG

MVC-035S.JPG

Getting ready to glass bottom. How long does epoxy need to cure before painting? I'm going to set it outside in the sun for a few days and let it bake. Will that be long enough with the hull getting hot?

Scott,

It depends on what paint you are putting on the epoxy. If you are using two part epoxy primer you can put it on while the resin is green. If you are using one part paint it needs to be fully cured. Leaving the boat upside in the sun should post cure it enough to paint with anything once the surface is sanded and washed.

If you want to be sure that your chosen one part paint is compatible with your epoxy you can do a test on say about 4" square. Do a control patch of the same paint on a non epoxy painted surface to see if they cure at the same rate. If they do not, they are not compatible. Do not be fooled by the surface skinning over, it is the the paint touching the epoxy that you are interested in. Interlux paints got sick of this problem and state that none of their one paints should be used directly over epoxy and recommend using an epoxy primer first. I have had good success with one part paints directly over cured epoxy but I prefer two paints for durability.

I prefer to post cure epoxy glassed hulls in the sun before painting as it helps to prevent or reduce print-thru. That is the glass weave pattern showing through the paint after being in the sun for a while.