Plastic wood filler

Scott Dunsworth

Anyone ever used woodworking filler under epoxy?  I always use epoxy with some sort of filler, but this job I'm doing is a little different. I have some screw holes in the deck of my spindrift deck that after the screws are in there just isn't enough room to bung them. My decking is 1/4 inch Birdseye maple and I want to finish it bright. The wood is very blond and the epoxy fillers are just to dark. Anyway Im thinking of using regular wood filler which I can get to match pretty good. Myself I can't see any problem with using it, but most of the time I don't think about everything.

Since you are covering it all in epoxy, and this is just cosmetic, then as long as you are confident the putty bonds well I don't see an issue.  Keep in mind that if you can make a repair, you can repair your repair later as well. But like Chick just mentioned, I wouldn't give up on making an epoxy filler that matches quite yet.

Scott, I'd say try the plastic wood filler if it gives the color you want. Just let it fully dry before coating it with epoxy.

I don't like using a filler with cabosil for spots like screw heads because it is harder than the surrounding surface and therefore doesn't sand the same.

Some epoxies mixed with wood flour shrink as they cure and the next season you will see dimples on the surface.

And, as you noted, epoxy will darken the wood flour.

Got some filling today on some areas that get painted, I'll do a little experimenting and see what I come up with Chic.

Know what you mean on the softer wood around the filler Reacher. My first boat was an Penobscot 14 planked with Okoume which is super soft, ended up with a finish not that great.

Chic I used off white glass bubbles from Raka then mixed maple flour slowly till it was close. Worked pretty good, thanks for the help all. Sanded real easy, looks good now sanded, we'll see what it looks like after everything is coated.

Might have a picture tonight on a new spindrift thread.

• Thanks 1