Dagger-board for Great Island Rowboat-Sailboat

timnphx

Back in approx. 2002 I built a small row-boat that also came with options to use as a sailboat.  It is called The Great Island Rowboat and I got the plans from Duck Trap Boats.

I was ambitious back then and built all the options for sailing it i.e:  built a mast, rudder, dagger-board, and sprit-rig sail and had a lot of fun doing it.   I even took some sailing lessons back in 2005, but to this day I have yet to take it out sailing.  Used a lot with elect trolling motor, but no sailing because need to fix problem with the dagger board.  The problem is the dagger-board is too thick and gets stuck in the trunk or slot making it a pain to get in or out.   The thickness of the dagger is approx. half-inch made from wood and I managed to set in some lead discs for added ballast (not that it was really needed).  I am questioning if it makes sense to just keep sanding it down so once it is re-varnished it will slid easily in/out of slot or should I re-make it with thinner material but then re-enforce for strength with some metal plates or something?  

My Dagger-Bd GreatIsland-Rowboat.jpg

What Ken said.  Once it slides freely mark all the areas that were sanded.  Then enlarge the area and sand more.  Now you can add some epoxy and/or paint and hopefully still fit.    The wear marks and sanding may show what the problem is.  Is the whole trunk a tad narrow?  Is the trunk twisted? Is the board twisted?  Depending on what you discover as you proceed you may have to consider something else.  Good luck.