Building a Two Paw 8 for Trailer Camping

Don Silsbe

I finished prepping my nesting bulkheads.  First of all, I didn’t want exposed screws poking into my butt, so I’m going with glassed/over T-nuts.  Once I got my holes drilled (in the correct locations), I put the two pieces together, & trued up the sides, one to the other.  The Quick Connect parts don’t get installed until much later.  To keep the two parts aligned, I have added four 1/4” screws to act as locating pins.  I’m within an hour of going 3D, but the holidays are about to kick in.  

4AFDC924-CD34-4C16-81FC-7D542DDF057B.jpeg

0527F563-C617-4541-9828-A2052F7945A6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Our best friends dropped in between the holidays.  I took advantage of the extra hands.  We went 3D, and put her on saw horses, once everything was snugged up a bit.  Today, I installed the second nesting bulkhead, and ripped & dry-fitted the gunwales.  She’s coming along.

I thought of a name— “Schizo”.  (Split personality). Maybe that’s too intense.  What do y’all think?

279BADC6-9B95-4A4C-969F-B0270C235CF3.jpeg

3CF65E05-1BF4-4730-B28E-20D89F069768.jpeg

7FA56A6C-8933-41EA-9A6F-15D76B97C98B.jpeg

5B0BD9D3-438B-4CC8-ACFF-41A2F1C3CEA4.jpeg

6C15EAAC-4FCB-4FD2-A688-F02A13D9F4B8.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I’ve managed to sneak in an hour of boatbuilding, here and there.  I’ve gotten my gunwales glued on.  Today, I transferred her to my boatbuilding horses.  I got her all levelled, checked for twist, and did my tack-gluing.  In a day or so, I can start taping!

D761E806-48C4-4391-8BA8-887D1BB15F23.jpeg

25DBBADF-D1CA-4C21-BA86-C8BE398AAA3B.jpeg

This morning, I’m worrying over how to get six layers of tape all the way up the sides of the nesting bulkheads.  I understand the need, but it’s going to be a tight fit.  But it’ll happen.  This is one of the “fun” parts of boat building— figuring out the little problems.

62546FC5-FCCB-4882-9174-8D62D2A39B3D.jpeg

@Chick Ludwig— my longstanding argument is for people to use a proven, hard, marine finish, instead of trying to save $50, and slapping “whatever” on their creation.  I think Epiphanes’ one-part is up to the job.  Besides, I don’t like mixing up micro batches of paint & hardener.  It’s not like you can put the rest back in the can. One of these days, I’m gonna have the balls to paint a boat with Rustoleum’s “marine” paint.  Afterall, I painted my Flyfisher 13 with Kirby, the softest paint on the planet.  The advantage to the Rustoleum is that my local paint store carries it, and will mix it to any color I choose.  Maybe when I refinish Flyfisher...

In vexing situations, some say “press on regardless”.  My daughter says “it’s all good”.  My pastor says “be at peace”.  With these thoughts in mind, I peacefully pressed on, knowing that it would be good— or at least fixable.  I’m here to report that it went well. Here are some photos of my 6-pack bulkheads.

E8CE37F8-291C-4A24-B65E-C8F7BA68A76F.jpeg

44F300DE-C151-4057-ABF3-87A80B4CA67A.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m fighting a cold at the moment, so I’m trying to minimize my time in the chilly garage/workshop.  I lay out parts upstairs, and go down to the shop to make my cuts. 

I’m working out the details of the forward seat area. This is primarily a fishing/sailing craft, so floatation and storage are the objectives.  The hatch will be a kayak-style sealed compartment.  The parts are ready now, and held together with little beads of hot-melt.  When I stop hacking and sniffing, I’ll glue it up.  I can’t wait to get rid of that 3/4” X 3/4” cross brace!

B69E9D46-704E-4DF4-A8E2-AC1B7082021D.jpeg

98537432-4FDD-4144-9848-DB130D95ACAC.jpeg

I LIKE it. Not the sniffling, the forward compartment. I'm really thinking of building the Catspaw 9. I can carry it on my utility trailer to one of the near-by lakes on those rare breezy Spring and Summer days. Just to mess-about. We could maybe meet-up and mess together? Dinghy to dinghy. I WANNA GO BOAT-BOAT! ISN'T SUMMER EVER GONNA GET HERE?????