dutch OB 20

dutch ob 20

Jan,

Your boat is looking amazing. 

You've pretty much caught up with me in as many months as I have spent years.  I underestimated you from the beginning...thinking you'd be slogging along like me.  Wishful thinking for a compadre, I guess.  Not the first time I gross!y underestimated someone, though.  

Keep up the good work and don't stop posting. Sometimes when we post something and no one responds, we think no one is reading, but we are. 

Carter

PS.   Hey, I have given your "canal through the desert to the ocean" idea some thought.  It's less than a thousand miles from my shop to the Sea of Cortez shop...and it's downhill all the way!  

Oops, i must have hit the Send button accidentally.

Downhill seems like a good thing, but that's not how canals work, is it?  After realizing that my canal would need to be seven or eight thousand feet deep at my shop to get water from the Sea of Cortez, I gave it up and decided to go back to being a trailer sailor.  Not only that, building an inland waterway from Mexico to the center of the USA might create more problems than I'm prepared to handle  

• Like 1

Couple of suggestions as you begin your build.

1. Don't think of the entire projest and all that needs to be done. Instead, break it down into small steps, like, what you need to do in one day. Or one step in the project like cutting the bulkheads.

2. Have a "moaning chair" in or near your shop where you can sit and contemplate when things are tough. Maybe even pray for patience. My favorite patience prayer, "Dear Lord, give me patience, and GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!!!!

3. When it gets tough, confusing, or ya just wanna talk to someone friendly, get on your internet and pull up this site.

12 hours ago, 1bigcarrot said:

Hi Jan

Boat looks a big 20 footer in your workshop, good to see you making way at a nice pace.

Out of curiosity, what made you choose the kevlar to sheath the hull?

Hi 1bigcarrot

I chose this kevlar / carbon fabric to use the following reason
1 less weight
2 much stronger than glass
3 more inpact strength

Jan,

I notice that you kept the outside keel high all the way to the transom. The reason why we drew the keel ending .331 from the transom and tapering to its full height well forward of the transom is to prevent cavitation during turns while planing.

As you have built the keel you should be ok at planing speeds running straight and long slow turns. It will cavitate when turning at speed.

I normally like to do the keel as you have built so that I can support the boat as far aft on the trailer as possible. I find cavitating more annoying, not to mention what it may be doing to the engine.

3 hours ago, Designer said:

Jan,

I notice that you kept the outside keel high all the way to the transom. The reason why we drew the keel ending .331 from the transom and tapering to its full height well forward of the transom is to prevent cavitation during turns while planing.

As you have built the keel you should be ok at planing speeds running straight and long slow turns. It will cavitate when turning at speed.

I normally like to do the keel as you have built so that I can support the boat as far aft on the trailer as possible. I find cavitating more annoying, not to mention what it may be doing to the engine.

Graham,

In my area there are only 3 spaces where you can go faster than 12 miles. You also need a permit and I do not have one
For this reason the boat also gets a motor with 10 horsepower and I do not think that I get problems with cavitation

jan