Curlew FrOG

even-keeled

I built this one for motivation to build a real Curlew. I'm excited for that build. This is 4:1 scale. My foot fits perfectly in this one. My other kayak, Barta has a mix of hand-made and laser-cut frames. The real Curlew will have all plywood parts lasered.

This was lofted from the book using the plywood coaming option. The coaming support is integral to the custom under-the-knee frame.

My only question about the design is how well the frame near your feet handles the bending load of 3 deck stringers ending right there. I imagine that it holds up well because I have not heard about any failures.

20181008_081716.jpg

20181008_081554.jpg

20181008_085420.jpg

• Thanks 1

Dear Mr. Even-Keeled:

That's a lovely model! I've made models myself to see what a boat looks like in 3D; however, none of them were skin-on-frame. I have to wonder, tho, doesn't a 1/4 scale model of a SOF boat cost almost as much in time and material as a full-size one? 

Fair winds, Andy

• Thanks 1

It was cheap and easy. It assembled in a couple of hours, including the strongback and the stringer splices. I won't cover this one because it looks amazing like this. I was going to dope and tissue it like an old model plane. It was about a square foot of 1/8 ply and 3"x36" 1/8 balsa. 

I'd like to make one of each from the books and also a Nimrod.

• Like 1