Boat for a size 14 shoe?

barlows

Hey guys, looks like I'm in the market.  I really like Jeff's designs, and would love to build one!

The problem is my size 14 feet!  I'd mostly be using the kayak for fitness paddling, so am leaning toward the Short Shot or Long Shot, based on Jeff's reviews of both.  I'm 6'2" and 180, so feel like the Long Shot might simply have more room for me.

I'm wondering if either of these (or another model) would have room for my feet.  I searched and really only found comments up to size 11 or 12.  Any thoughts or experiences?  Or, if these won't accommodate out of the box, are there simple changes I could make to account for this?  I hate to muck up a perfectly good design if I don't have to though.

Thanks!

Steve

Steve

I have a Long Shot , a  Fire Fly and a Vardo. I'm 6'2" 240lb  . size 10 1/2 shoe

To give me more space I find that I have to wear no shoes or if it is cold I use a neoprene type dive sock . You have to keep your heels touching (think V) it is tight around the feet. With a boat shoe or sandal my toes bind against the top skin.(long legs stretch further into the slimmer part of the kayak) These will be a tight fit for you. I do paddle all three.

It would be nice if you could add a little more height where your feet end up. 

The Long shot has a lower coaming and is  tighter getting in and out. I believe Jeff has designed a higher front coaming support since I built mine. 

I use the Fire Fly the most, It goes like hell in a straight line.  

I am taking Fire Fly to a Canoe and Kayak race on Monday. I hope to show up all the plastic paddlers.

John

fullsizeoutput_52b.jpeg

IMG_4727.JPG

Glad to  hear other chime in with some experience Size 14 is hard to find anything other an Recreation design that  you are going to fit well.

VARDO has the most room inside being more of a touring boat.  All the others are not going to fit 14's with shoes on. I wear thin neoprene water shoes with a medium thick sole. In the winter I wear wool socks inside my dry suit with those outside. No problems there.

I wear size 10 and with tennis shoes on my feet are wedged  in and not comfortable. I would say size 14 foot is close to that so I have my doubts about a good fit in anything except VARDO. Largely depends on how forward you can point you toes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CapecodJohn said:

It would be nice if you could add a little more height where your feet end up. 

Problem is you need to raise the Gunwale to really gain any more foot room and then you end up banging a paddle on the side of the boat. Everything is a compromise in these and there are no easy ways to get more foot room, keep a good shape on the boat and keep the Gunwales low so you are not knuckle busting.

And if you do try something you have to build a new boat just to test your idea!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I don't mind having shoes off to paddle, but it sounds like that may not be enough to give the space I need.  Maybe it's best to start with a VARDO anyway, as my first boat.  It seems like everyone ends up with a few anyway.

Thanks again, and have a great week!