B&B Preps for Florence

Alan Stewart

Graham made it out to the shop today. He reported both shops looked "good". I put in quotes because he was talking to me and I knew what he meant in relation to previous flooding. I felt that we did some good prep for this one and took nearly 2 days prepping the shop for innundation at least as bad as Irene. Thanks so much to my parents Paul and Dawn who came down to help. We literally could not have gotten the shop ready without them. Today we've been obeying the curfew and cleaning up our yard with one trip out to bring some extra stuff to a local shelter that is set up at Taylor's school.  One pic of a branch that speared the edge of our roof. 

20180916_143443.jpg

20180916_084727.jpg

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear all ok, and hopefully shop/boats not badly damaged. Had about 4' + some wave action in our yard & 6' crawlspace east of Washington, no power till yesterday, and cable/inet today. Bottom of the #12 day mark was only about 18" from the surface. Water still very high. No structural damage but big mess like everyone. RickZ

I am also glad to hear all are OK and hope your preparations were all successful. Another report from Washington: my CS20 kit parts and sub-assemblies were all raised above the 34 inches of water I had in my garage and shop. If I had my hull done it could have self-adjusted like the dinghy and canoes. Other tools and equipment came through fine from their elevated positions, but here is a tip: if you have a cabinet that will tip over and float around, don't make the top out of particleboard.

Alan and all - thank you so much for the update. We're really relieved to hear things went as well as they did. We watched the storm on Windy and radar make land fall and were glad it veered south, but it still looked like it could be pretty bad for you and the shop. Great job doing such good prep!  All the best from Seattle.

Looks like the water level got up to about 8' above MWL. I just got some pics from Taylor that show a mess under our house (expected) but no disaster. I think Alan and family did a great job of prep at the shop, still a huge mess to clean up, but he reports that the losses don't look substantial. Alan and Taylor, and Graham and Carla are back putting their world aright. Bobbie and I fared well in Chapel Hill, but I'm not sure when we'll get back out to start cleanup at this point. Travel is difficult with so many roads closed. Alan and Taylor snuck out between the surge subsiding and the rivers rising.

• Like 2

We just got power back on at my house. Graham also reported having power yesterday. We have been very impressed with the work of the linemen and women who have restored power lines very quickly. We had a pole down and wires in the road when we first tried to get to the shop and the next day it was up and replaced with a new pole. I was expecting it to be down for a least a few days. To clarify, still no power at the shop itself but maybe soon...we hope. 

We started power washing out the shop yesterday. I expect it will take us at least a couple of weeks to be back up to "normal". 

Nick, glad your parts were prepared for a flood. Sorry about the garage I know how much work it is to clean out. We also have quite a few particle board shelf units at our shop which were good at the time (free) but now have to be rebuilt properly. I HATE particle board for anything that has to last more than a few days. 

I talked to Tom on the phone the other day. They went inland for the storm. He was heading home and the most pressing issue on his mind was cleaning out rotting food from the fridge.

His house is high and well built but his shop goes under water. He has a scheme that lifts all of his machines above flood water but I am sure that like us, there will be a layer of mud and lots of flotsum to clean up and there always seems to some stuff that is missed during preparation.

How did you fare Oyster?