How to add laminated beam to Tadpole?

Hi.

I've just bought the Tadpole drawings and are going to build my first kayak. Found this to be a great start, and a good size for my 10 year old niece :).

When I examine the drawings i notice that the frame in front of the coaming is plywood just as the others, but it seems kind of tight at first glance. Through my research I found that you have the "comfort frame" on several of the designs to allow for more legroom.

Is this upgrade also available on the Tadpole? 

Since this coaming isn't as long as ones where the beam has been implemented, there's less room to add a lower frame. Depending on the child, their hamstrings may rest on an extra frame.

I would make the plywood frame in question not droop so much between the coaming and the gunwales. That will give a little room without a major redesign. Maybe make a cardboard mock-up of that one frame to get a better idea of fit.

I was going to build a tadpole for my daughter but she's outgrown that design. Now it will need to be a Curlew for her.

I used a laminated beam on the tadpole I built earlier this summer, to make it easier for my son to get in/out of the boat.  I redrew the frame at the front of the cockpit so that the top of the frame was replaced by a laminated piece that kept the deck stringer in the same position, but gave better clearance -- especially at the sides of the opening.  (I also lowered the bottom of the opening a bit since I didn't run the floors under the frame.  I'd intended to use brackets there, but ended up lashing to the side of the frame in the end.  I'm not sure I'd take that route again.)

Brad

IMG_4528.thumb.jpg.1915044d9e06441bd19cf25da594d0bf.jpgIMG_4608.thumb.jpg.4e19fe1856c0efe99e4c2e7ee8c52df7.jpgIMG_4674.thumb.jpg.0e686f4ade9833c3dbc26cc4eedffd25.jpg

• Like 1

You're right -- I did one coat of thinned tung oil after that first picture.  That was probably overkill for a kid's boat, especially since the stringers were all cedar, but it made me feel better.  Also, the plywood I used for the frames is high quality (lots of plies, no voids) but not particularly rot resistant.

• Like 1