Questions about Short Shot

Jason

Hi, everyone, I'm potentially interested in building a Short Shot and I have a few questions that I was hoping someone might be able to answer. I'm a pretty experienced sea kayak paddler and I already own a commercial sea kayak, but I'd like to build my own boat just for the experience and because of the light weight of the SOF boats. I don't have any woodworking experience, so one of Jeff's kits seems to be the way to go.

- Does anyone have any experience paddling a Short Shot on the ocean in surf or swell? I paddle a lot on the Hudson River, in Long Island Sound, and on the Rhode Island coast, and I'd like to make sure the boat will be strong enough for those conditions, including deep water self rescue.

- I'm 5' 9" and weigh about 155 pounds. I usually carry about 15-20 pounds of gear. Do you think I'll be too light to sink this boat for good tracking?

- How much foot room does the Short Shot have? I have size 9 feet, but I have to wear shoes in my boat because of the rocky coast line.

- How does the Short Shot roll? Can I use a regular sea kayak neoprene spray skirt with it?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi Jason. Welcome aboard!

I built a Short Shot during the winter of 2016. At the  moment, I don't have time to say a lot, so I'll respond with some quick answers and maybe others can chime in too.

1. Buying the kit will not exempt you from 'wood working'. But the wood is soft and easy to cut. Also, it's a simple frame to be covered, not a grandfather clock on display so it doesn't have to look perfect.

2. I paddle on the Hudson River too, but up around Albany/Troy so I don't see a lot of waves. You should be fine though if you're experienced in those conditions. I recently paddled several yards from the edge of a calm lake and jumped in the  water just to see if I could get  back in. I did no problem.

3. I'm a little taller than you and  about 20 lbs heavier, but I don't carry much on board with me. She tracks just fine.

4. Your size 9's should fit just fine.

5. I don't have a spray skirt and I haven't rolled my Short Shot. Someone else will have to answer that one.

Good luck!

- Ben

Jason:

I paddle a Ravenswood, which has hard chines in lieu of the multi-chine (essentially round) bottom of a Short Shot, but I believe that I can provide you with some useful information. I paddle mainly in the lower Hudson (Alpine, Piermont, and Nyack) and New York Harbor. Photo below was taken near Liberty Island. I am pretty sure that a Short Shot would handle anything that a factory-built boat of similar model would. I haven't seen any disadvantages compared to factory-built boats that I have paddled alongside. And the big advantage is, of course, lightness. 

Foot room might be a little different in the two boats, but my size 11 or 12's fit fine.

I use a nylon spray skirt (Seal Skirts Adventurer), which was custom made. I sent a tracing of the coaming to Seal Skirts and they sewed one up for the same cost as a standard skirt. I ordered it through Campmor, as Seal doesn't sell directly to consumers. If you prefer a neoprene skirt, you'll need to check if a standard model fits or if you can have one custom made. You will want to outfit your boat with float bags fore and aft. Another item some SOF paddlers like is a sea sock, which further reduces floodable volume.

Fair winds, Andy

libertyswim1.thumb.jpg.846589b3b83148b4e3680882ccd83837.jpg

I am letting other answer but I will answer a couple of things.  Size 9 feet with some thin water shoes are no problem. That is what I wear. I have a pair of Teva water shoes with thick soles and big heals and they are a bit big so I won't wear them paddling.

As for tracking it is hard to answer because what I call good tracking might be loose or a train to you. One good thing is that if the tracking isn't strong enough you can easily add a small skeg made from the scrap plywood. I don't have a 'how-to' up but it is pretty simple to make and you can trim it make the boat suit you.

Skirt is not problem Seals has a pattern on file. I can special order one of your local dealer can too.