Ravenswood Masik/Deck Beams Question

PNWSOF

Hi all,

I'm finally making some progress on a Ravenswood, and things have been coming together pretty well so far.  I've got a question about how the deck beams meet the masik though.  I know the center beam is notched and goes under the masik, and the two side beams are supposed to land atop the masik, but my side beams don't meet the masik.  Left to their own devices, they end up about 1/2" high and would have to be pulled down to meet the masik.

I'm fine with that, but I wanted to consult the forum before making any decisions in case it was evidence that something else is amiss.  I double-checked the frame positions and all looks good, and the masik came out with just about exactly the right shape (according to the plans), so I'm not sure what could have produced the "error" if indeed it's an error.

Thanks,

Brad

Without seeing it I can't say for sure, but wood isn't always straight. It bends, warps, etc. Most likely there is nothing wrong. Pull them down in place and sight down the kakay from different angles and see if everything makes smooth bends. There should be no humps of dips anywhere in the stringers. 

Thanks for your response.  I went ahead and pulled them down to meet the masik, though there's definitely a curve to them now.  (See photo below.)  I double-checked the frame positions and shapes, and verified that they all matched the plans -- including the laminated beam -- so I'm not sure where things went wrong.

Of perhaps more concern is the fact that there's an odd bend in the chine stringer on both sides where it meets the frame at 12' 0" (the second frame from the bow -- just behind the bow assembly).  The gunwales and keel have nice sweet lines to them though.  It's only the chine that wiggles.  Is that part of the design, or am I off?  (Photo is below, with frame inverted briefly on strongback.)  (As you'll see, I'm not of the lashing persuasion, though I'm getting closer with each boat.  I mean no offense to the purists.)

bend.jpg

chine.jpg

Your fasteners may be the problem.  Because stringers dont meet the frames square and the notches are square the fastener places forces on the stringer that lashings do not.  You also add holes to the stringers which change the strength characteristics at that point and can create an unfair curve.

Thanks for the input.  It's hard to tell from that picture, but the chine stringer is deformed "vertically" -- up away from the waterline, rather than being forced against the frame in an effort to meet it at a 90 degree angle.  It's as though the notch in the frame is too high by 1/4 or 3/8".  I take your point though.  In general I avoid fasteners on the chines and keel, but that frame was an exception.

• Like 1

Brad:

I also had hogged chines in the bow of my Ravenswood upon initial assembly. If I remember correctly, I trimmed a bit (1/4" or 3/8") off the upper edges of notches on the first frame until the chine lay fair. Photo is attached showing alignment after adjustment.

Fair winds, Andy

ravenswood.thumb.jpg.79c97b82f5ecba6589f361097cb712e8.jpg

• Like 1