Site Registration Suspended

Frank Hagan

Unfortunately I have had to disable registration due to excessive resources being used by phony registration attempts and "contact us" form spammers. I am looking at upgrading the server and resources, but I am not sure the 64% increase in costs is worth that solution.  

If you have someone who wants to join messing-about let me know and I'll add them manually for now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyster said:

Since this is probably one of the best run places on the net, can the members participate in the funding?   Its great to come here and not be buried in junk at any time day or night.

I could put up a donation button for PayPal or Patreon; I'll look into what I could add for paying members as a bonus. 

I'm working with the data center now on mitigating the attacks and turned the registration form back on with some changes; we'll see how it goes with the other measures in place. I'll keep everyone posted!

1 hour ago, Frank Hagan said:

I could put up a donation button for PayPal or Patreon; I'll look into what I could add for paying members as a bonus. 

Bonus or not,  I agree with Oyster. This place is well worth a donation. I would ask you keep us updated, cept that you always do.

Trying some Google ads now, and may hide those for people who donate once I get a donate button set up. I hope they aren't too intrusive.

Things are stable on the server side but I probably will need to upgrade by the end of the year. I hope to avoid that but it looks like I will need more resources for things like the image hosting, etc. by then anyway.

• Like 1

The server has been upgraded, and luckily there hasn't been any disruption that I can see. 

To pay for this I have added advertisements in two areas, at the top of the page and in between the first and second post. I'm using Google Ads, which at least monitor the ads and keep them virus free. 

For those who want to contribute, there are two links at the top right of the main index page to support messing-about.com, a $12 a year option to remove the ads, and a $60 a year option that removes the ads and optionally includes a full year of HOSTkabob website hosting if desired.