Sail Battens

Joe Anderson

As I was enjoying a sail in my Spindrift 10 I noticed that the trailing edge of the sail had a curl to it. At first I thought that the battens were too short. On closer examination I can see that the battens are slipping past the elastic at the base of the pocket. The pockets appear to be designed for a batten width of about 1.5 inches. The battens that came with my sail are about 0.6 inches. I think I have seen some battens with a hook on one end to capture the elastic. I don't know if that would solve the problem or if I should just get wider battens. Anyone else dealing with this problem?

Well I have found that if I pay close attention as I am inserting the batten I can get it to snag on the elastic and fit properly. So were they properly inserted and slipped out of place or just carelessly inserted? Further testing required and there is a nice wind.P7180294.thumb.JPG.f890c74b73db87de218ce9a9ffdc4380.JPG

On the left is the stock batten tip.  On the right is a batten tip borrowed from a wind surfer sail.

Joe, the battens that came with my CS 20 sails were 5/8 inch. I believe that is a common size, also used on your boat. When I inquired about a new batten BandB said they have gone to 1 inch on CS20.3. the batten pockets are large enough for at least 1.25 inch battens. 

I don't know enough about battens to advise you on size. Maybe a change to 1 inch would help. I am playing around with wood battens of different dimensions. Anyway, Sailrite has batten end caps of different shapes that might help your battens stay in place.