Eviction of the boatbuilder

Stareed

Gentlemen,

The day is slowly approaching when I will be evicted from my boatshop...... I mean garage, the 17' solid spar I made for the mast for the Spindrift and store on top of the garage door tracks was apparently the straw that broke the wife's patience, well that and the year it took me to build it; Oh and the fact that she recently found the plans for the 18' skiff that my brother and I plan on building this fall- to which she said  "oh hell no, no more boats in her garage". She wants her storage space back for bins of useless stuff like various seasonal decorations and all the other female "stuff". I have pretty much taken it all at this point, workbench and tools, boat, and all the other stuff have engulfed the whole space, she was not satisfied with the shelving that I made for her, I admit its 8' off the ground and you need a ladder to retrieve that bin that says "scrap-booking supplies" that she uses never.  After 19 years she has put up with a lot from me and I love her, so I am in search of a portable garage thing with a tarp cover that I can put on the side yard to house the next and current boat, I have successfully negotiated the rights to half of the garage to retain all my woodworking tools as they make money for me, when I am not offshore. My plan is do work in the garage and assembly/storage in the shed. 

Anybody doing the same? What brand to you recommend? there seem to be endless choices. I am in Florida and while I dont need snow load protection, I do need sides and a front and back to keep rain out and the ability to roll up the sides for ventilation to avoid dying in there from the heat while working on the boat. 

You have a way with words from your moaning chair.  You sound like some politician telling us that you are no longer in the running for man of the year in your kingdom.  The only two issues that I see here when using a portable shed is rolling up the sides for a typical 20 foot single portable carport. Its a chore. Being in your area you will also probably deal with hurricanes, which can cause a problem especially if you have an uncompleted project. I have used King Canopy successfully over the years and the ends roll up nicely.

I have also used concrete blocks at each pole, secured in place by a line to the horizontal tubing. I also have used the 8x8x16 blocks and placed the feet inside of the voids, securing them to their location better for when the wind blows. The website is not the easiest to navigate.  I have also used the 18 x27  since I had extra room and this gave me more working room and ventilation instead of working in the single closet.

https://www.kingcanopy.com/

https://www.kingcanopy.com/item/hc1020pc/hercules/

Sidewall kit

https://www.kingcanopy.com/item/inasw6p10wh/instant-accessories/

https://www.kingcanopy.com/item/hc1827pc/hercules/

sidewall kit

https://www.kingcanopy.com/item/swk1827wf-2/side-wall-kits/

3 hours ago, Scott Dunsworth said:

We are slowly letting women take over the world:):rolleyes:

You could always cut a deal with her,  build in the garage or the living room!:) That's giving her two choices.

That's the spirit!  Take it from the living room guy.

"Scrapbooking.  I rest my case.  I'll take you out in it when it's done."

Oyster,

Thanks for the info, after speaking with my brother today we will be building a structure on his property for this next build, I really like being able to pop outside and do a little bit when I want, but this actually may increase productivity as I will have to be more efficient in planning, more 8 hour power building days and less messing around in the shop.

I am gone 6 months of the year, and previous to my current job I was gone 8 months a year - the whole house is her's, I just visit my family at that location!  Wish I had room to build a proper shop, maybe one day.... when I no longer need to go to sea for money, but in 25 years I may want to move to Kansas haha- I had a  Captain once who said " When I retire, I'm going to throw an oar on my shoulder and walk inland until someone says "whats that" and then I will know I'm far enough away form it"  

• Like 1

I originally started my project in a tent in the backyard with the best intentions of keeping it out of the garage.  Eventually, my day of calamity came.  High winds lifted the tent off the boat despite shoring it up with various 1x2s, galvanized pipes, and other damage control equipment.  The rain started to fill the boat with water since I waterproofed the inside of the boat with 3 COATS OF EPOXY.  My wife and I scrambled to get it inside.  At that time, I hadn't glassed it or painted it or put on the seat tops and centerboard trunk, so it only weighed 60-80 pounds and I have a strong wife.  Together, we pressed it overhead (she taking the heavier stern of course) and lifted it completely over the fence gate which wasn't wide-enough to go through.  

A bunch of other stuff had to be frantically moved out of the garage onto the side of the house.  

THe moral of the story, if any, is build a strong tent.  

Walt,

Understood, We (my brother and I) are going to build a small pole barn, about 12x24 and put some cheap metal roof on it and have tarp curtain sides to keep the rain out and the looky-lou's away, it will be semi permanent, we are going to just use 4x4 posts and a simple raked roof, no hip or gable. When we are done he'll use it for his landscaping business- which means he'll be pay for the materials haha.  If it flys away, we most likely are going to have more serious things to worry about. 

• Like 1