OB 20 Center Console

DKSkelly

Oyster: Well spotted!  The Ocean Pointer and the West Pointer skiffs from Six River were definitely inspirations for the coaming and rubrail treatment and some other details.

Trev: The tank is located as spec'd by Graham between F2 and BH3.  A 25 gallon Moeller tank.  Because I don't have a seat against that aft bulkhead, I built out the 'box' forward of the bulkhead to bring the fuel fill and vent lines from the bilge up to the deck.

• 3 weeks later...

Dave

Although the quality of the video is a bit poor, you will get the idea of how my hull sits. This was taken on the weekend and the motor was trimmed all of the way in. It feels like she needs a bit more trim in, but I am going to fit a foil to the motor which should solve this. 

All said and done, the hull performed great. On the way to the fishing hut we had about approx 300 Kg's of weight plus 3 people and she rose onto the plane quite easily. Fuel consumption..... only used about 40 Lts for the 4 days which is not much more than the two other boats on the trip. Sitting on 4200 RPM we maintained 20 Knots, top speed fully loaded was approx 26 Knots, which with the 70Hp was true testament to Grahams hull design. 

Trev

At rest.jpg

Trev:

I have not gotten that sense with my hull.  From your video I can see what you are talking about though.

For whatever it's worth, I placed the console so that the center of the wheel would sit just about where it would be with Graham's original configuration.  The Yamaha F60 weighs 112 kg.  The battery sits in the stern compartment on the starboard side.  Lighter gear in the port compartment.  Anchor and line are stored in the bow compartment and other light gear under the bow seat.  The 25 gallon fuel tank is sitting in the position as designed and I haven't noticed much affect of fuel level on trim.  However, I definitely have noticed that trim and handling change pretty substantially based on where people are sitting.  My family have gotten used to me moving them around to trim the boat depending on conditions. A little weight in the bow (a 10 or 12 year old) definitely helps going into a chop!

I will be interested to hear what effect the foil has.

My boys love all of the rodholders along the gunwale of your boat.  They are bugging me to drill some holes!

Dave

1 hour ago, DKSkelly said:

Trev:

I have not gotten that sense with my hull.  From your video I can see what you are talking about though.

For whatever it's worth, I placed the console so that the center of the wheel would sit just about where it would be with Graham's original configuration.  The Yamaha F60 weighs 112 kg.  The battery sits in the stern compartment on the starboard side.  Lighter gear in the port compartment.  Anchor and line are stored in the bow compartment and other light gear under the bow seat.  The 25 gallon fuel tank is sitting in the position as designed and I haven't noticed much affect of fuel level on trim.  However, I definitely have noticed that trim and handling change pretty substantially based on where people are sitting.  My family have gotten used to me moving them around to trim the boat depending on conditions. A little weight in the bow (a 10 or 12 year old) definitely helps going into a chop!

I will be interested to hear what effect the foil has.

My boys love all of the rodholders along the gunwale of your boat.  They are bugging me to drill some holes!

Dave

What you describe is pretty typical of small runabouts. You are in another phase of the building process, tweaking the boat to fit your use and layout. Figure out how the boat performs as you use it in similar conditions and then maybe add some small wedges to the bottom at the transom to deal with getting the nose down. You can always use your trim to get it up a bit if need be. It may only take some additional anchor chain in the forward locker that stays there to address some need of additional trim. But deadweight is not always as preferred in small skiffs as live weight or additional gear placed accordingly for a day trip.  Maybe a fully loaded beer cooler????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...