OB 20 Center Console

DKSkelly

Hi All:  I just completed an OB 20 build and had a chance to speak with Graham at the WoodenBoat Show in Mystic yesterday.  I came away encouraged to post some pictures particularly after Graham showed me photos of Trev's beautiful OB 20 Center Console.  Looks like we had the same idea half a world apart!    Photos show the boat coming out of the shop after 3+ years and the first launching a couple of weeks ago.  - Dave

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

Unknown-3.jpeg

Starboard.jpeg

IMG_0320.JPG

This is an outstanding build and modification of the hull. Its nice that people are not afraid to put their  own ideas on a good bottom .  Please post more pictures of the boat running, if possible. I see you put the 60 hp on it. The cabin boat had a 25, IIRC and ran fine. So your boat should really get along.

Thanks for the responses.  I will definitely post some more photos when I get her out on the water again.  The boat moves along well with the 60.  I haven't opened it up yet but got up to ~25 knots at just over 5K.  I took a guess, with some advice, on the prop so that may change after I get to know the boat better.

HI Dave!

You're right....who would have thought that two people would have the same idea (and have such good taste)?? 
Your OB looks great mate, I love what you did with the inside gunnel timber, that looks smart! I too launched mine last Sunday and am most pleased with the way she handles and performs. Keep in touch.

Trev

1 hour ago, keen2buildagain said:

HI Dave!

You're right....who would have thought that two people would have the same idea (and have such good taste)?? 
Your OB looks great mate, I love what you did with the inside gunnel timber, that looks smart! I too launched mine last Sunday and am most pleased with the way she handles and performs. Keep in touch.

Trev

Good taste indeed!  Will definitely keep in touch.  I have spent some time in your part of the world.  Lived 1.5 years down south of Sydney and have travelled around T'ville, good friends living in Kuranda, etc. I love Queensland and Oz in general.

Second outing this morning.  Ran ca. 20 miles over to Long Island and did some sea bass fishing on the way back.  Ran very comfortably at 18 knots or so in the chop.  Opened it up and at 5900 it was doing 25 or 26 knots with three people and a full load (25 gal) of fuel.  I think I will look at a different prop at some point  but no rush on that.  Lots of fun just the way she sits.

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

Thanks for all of the positive comments.  Third trip this morning.  Filled up after we got back and it took 9 gallons to top up the tank after 8 hours running time.  Really happy with the efficiency of these new outboards (and also the lunch of fresh sea bass!).

Oyster:  Great timing to ask about drink holder.  I am making a rod holder mounted bait station of similar design so I had it on the bench this morning.  The drink holder was made quickly out of an end cut from a piece of mahogany plus other stuff I had around.  The mount is made from closet pole with a spacer glued on so that it will wedge tightly in the rod holder and not slop back and forth.  It is at a few degrees off perpendicular so it will be relatively horizontal when sitting in the rod holder (zero degree rod holder, but deck is cambered).  It is way overbuilt.  If a can of soda weighed 12 lbs instead of 12 ounces, it would handle it fine!  If I was doing it again wouldn't have drilled the hole for the closet pole all the way through but it doesn't bother me enough to redo it.

Dave

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our first cruise.  We towed up to Grand Isle, Vermont and spent a couple days camping there and fishing for smallmouth bass in Lake Champlain.  Then we left the vehicle and trailer at a marina on Grand Isle and headed to the North end of the Lake and out via the Richelieu River.  We crossed the border and put into the customs wharf.  From there we continued up to St. Jean where we picked up the South end of the Chambly Canal: 9 locks and 7 mobile bridges in 19 km.  The locks (and some of the bridges!) are hand operated and part of a historic park.  The staff were great.  We left the boat at the marina in the Chambly basin and spent a few days with friends in Montreal before heading South for the return trip.  The boat performed flawlessly.  The whole trip was more than 140 miles and we used 16 gallons of gas.  With four people, gear and a full tank of gas, top speed was 25 knots heading into the wind/chop.  There are always little things you would do differently after you complete a build but I have to say I am really happy with this one.  The hull, in particular, is just outstanding.  Light, quick to plane, soft ride, dry.  Graham knows his stuff!

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG