Firefly hatch and flotation bags conflict

Erik Newman

I just got some beautiful flotation bags and a rubber hatch from Kudzu Craft; however I think I am faced with decision and could use some input: The bags take up pretty much all the empty space in the boat. This is good for not sinking but maybe not good for storing stuff below deck. I think these might be my choices:

1) No hatch, always use bags

2) Hatch in front or rear, take bags out when storage is needed. I'm thinking my boat use in rough water with just be for a few hours at a time locally with other people around, no food or camping gear needed but the bags would come in handy.

3) Hatch and bags. Deflate the bags a little bit to allow some room for stuff.

4) Put the hatch in the bay immediately in front of the cockpit, the bow bag doesn't reach back that far. I don't really like this because I can just reach between my legs through the cockpit to get stuff anyway.

Any thoughts appreciated, photos attached. Thanks.

Erik

IMG_6186s.jpg

IMG_6199s.jpg

IMG_6201s.jpg

IMG_6202s.jpg

3. is the correct answer. Put your gear in and inflate the bag.  The purpose of the bag is not really to float the boat but minimize the amount of water that can get in the boat in case of a capsize because you have to get that water out. So put the gear in, inflate the bag and fill as much empty space as practical.

4) Put the hatch in the bay immediately in front of the cockpit

Bad idea, you never want anything at your feet because it could tangle around your feet and trap you in the boat. NEVER store things around your feet. I will put my water bottle in my lap but that is it! No strap or strings on my water bottle either.

Erik:

I would recommend option 1, which is what I have implemented on my Ravenswood. It avoids the complications and extra weight of a hatch.  Anything I want to carry goes on the deck, tucked out of the way in the cockpit, or in a pocket of my PFD. 

Fair winds, Andy

Thanks, Andy. I think I'm going to go hatchless, partially because I never used the hatches on my other kayak while on the water and because sticking a big piece of rubber on this beautiful wood thing seems a bit vulgar. (I'm a bit hesitant to screw my footrests in, I might try to lash them somehow to keep the "no metal" fetish going (although the footrests are aluminum (rabbit hole warning sign!))). I actually thought about covering with canvas. A friend gave me some clear unobtainium cedar that his father bought 40 years ago to built a canoe and as far as the plywood goes, well there is some sort of Russian kayak connection I could justify.

13 hours ago, Erik Newman said:

I'm a bit hesitant to screw my footrests in, I might try to lash them somehow to keep the "no metal" fetish going

Tangent: I posted a lashing method for foot rests on page 2 of the tips & tricks thread. Metal hardware is still required at the foot rest.