Core Sound Challenge Race June 28th

Alan Stewart

B&B sailors,

For many years, Graham and I have participated in the annual "North Carolina Challenge" each year put on by the Watertribe group. 

This year the Watertribe event was cancelled due to lack of interest or at least not enough interest. 

In its place this year is a new "event" called the Core Sound Challenge schedule for June 28th with a shove off time of 8am.

The "event" is being "organized" by a local sailor Nathan who'd like to get more sailors out sailing. He has put up his own website on this event. 

https://zenehet.wixsite.com/fleetcmd/register-route

The route is from Cedar island (same as the old North Carolina Challenge) to Shackleford and back via Core Sound hence the name. You can circumnavigate Shackleford on the outside (the intended track) or avoid going outside by rounding a buoy at beaufort inlet and another buoy inside the bight. Technically it's a "race" but I suspect camping overnight in the Bight might be popular. 

I'm planning to give it a go in my CS-17. The event is informal and there is no entry fee etc that i am aware or. You are on your own. Bring your own safety gear, file your own float plan. 

If you'd like to join the fun shoot him an email at zenehet@gmail.com

This sounds like a fun event and I am glad someone is stepping up to try and fill the void since the Watertribe NC events are no more.  I’d be all over it but unfortunately that is a busy few weeks at work for me. Here’s to there being a next year!

Amos, 

I'll be sure to write up our experience. Taylor and I are taking our Core Sound 17. We are planning to camp on Cape Lookout tonight as we expect a hard slog down Core Sound today. 

Here is a link to our spot track page. This is just us, you won't see any other boats on it. https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0Mk47DBz9u4FjqtIgnVgCCoWpX5cRo9fj

Will send pictures as we can. 

Hard earned for sure. We had a very tough day on the sound. Camped now but not planning on going any further south, we lost our anchor and after today we just don't have it in us. Current plan is to head back for Cedar Island in the morning. Kept up with the windsurfer until it got over 15kts. Spent almost all day with mizzen only in the third mast position. So much wind and shallower than I've ever sailed in Core Sound dragging our board everywhere. Had to cut the anchor free after our pit stop to reduce sail just couldn't get it unstuck. Didn't bring enough warm cloths or foul weather gear. My amazing crew was soaked to the bone all day. Quite a learning experience and plenty of gear to be purchased when we get home. 

35 minutes ago, Alan Stewart said:

Hard earned for sure. We had a very tough day on the sound. Camped now but not planning on going any further south, we lost our anchor and after today we just don't have it in us. Current plan is to head back for Cedar Island in the morning. Kept up with the windsurfer until it got over 15kts. Spent almost all day with mizzen only in the third mast position. So much wind and shallower than I've ever sailed in Core Sound dragging our board everywhere. Had to cut the anchor free after our pit stop to reduce sail just couldn't get it unstuck. Didn't bring enough warm cloths or foul weather gear. My amazing crew was soaked to the bone all day. Quite a learning experience and plenty of gear to be purchased when we get home. 

We are headed on the water tomorrow and can come get you if you wish and take or tow you back . If you need your trailer picked up, then also let me know.  And if you need my number, pm me.  For some reason that sound has really gotten shallow' To compound the issue of running the sound,  the CG has removed a lot of the lights on the sticks that were originally in place. If you just need some dry clothes too, let me  know. I see you are on the tip of Browns Island, if the spot is correct. There is a ramp at the bridge going over to Harkers Island from Straits. Its not that far to the west if you want to head that direction too and we can pick you up.

We found out about how little the charts and markers can be trusted on Core Sound a couple years ago.  Depth about one foot over large areas where chart calls for relatively deep water.  Deep for Core Sound, that is.   Anywhere near Drum Inlet is questionable since Hurricane Irene.  Best to stay nearer mainland when near Atlantic, I think.  I don't think any waters similar to Core Sound even shows up on the NOAA Gov. to do list for new soundings work.  One of you young computer wizards need to develop technology for depth charting from satellites or such.  Unmanned surface drones aught to be doable with existing technology and small money..

We plan on doing the Sound from the Neuse through Thorofare to Beaufort soon so will make sure to have push pole and spare prop aboard.

If Taylor is still on speaking terms, civil speaking that is, you are set for the long term.

Tom

From one exterme to the other today. Rowing along glass flat calm. Miserable in a totally different way! headed for cedar creek camp/marina to takeout.

Nathan's trimaran was holed and he limped it back to cedar island yesterday. The windsurfer I assume made it pretty far but I'm sure he probably pulled out down near Harkers. 

When you saw you drug your centerboard, that's an understatement. Right around Nelson Bay and Sea Level there was nothing but sand for as far as you could see, with a little bit of water on it. THe windsurfer was standing tall, but going no where north  in the same area. I could not get to him to see  if he wanted help or water and he did not wave as if he wanted any. So if you see him tell him that the blue hull boat was not ignoring him as it turned west to head into Salter's Creek. But rest assured, the Pamlico Sound was kicking later on the afternoon out f the east northeast.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wanted to bring this to the attention of anyone interested. The Shackleford Challenge (a sort-of replacement to the NCC started by Nathan under the "North Fleet" banner) is on for a second year. Scheduled for June 28th 2018 which unfortunately coincides with the Mystic family boat building weekend. While not as interesting a course as the original NCC it is still an opportunity for an out of the box sailing event to test your navigational and sailing skills. 

https://www.northfleetcmd.com/register-route