Advice on motor mount CS17

I have an aft deck with two deck hatches, so I won’t make a motor well cut into the deck (I see lots of pretty ones on the forum). I think I need a really long motor bracket (to provide clearance from the transom to raise the motor) or a lifting motor mount? Is there something on the market that would work, or do you have pictures of a custom solution? (This is with a Suzuki longshaft motor).

Many thanks, Andy

(I'm finishing hull #57.)

Get ready for the "you don't need a motor" comments ?

I have a 17 as well, and didn't want to do a well-  it's a great solution, just wasn't for me-  I started out with a lift up model but didn't like it due to looks, put the motor up too high, etc.  I ended up with a really cool antique mount that leaves a small bracket on the transom and the mount removes with the motor.  I don't have a picture at the moment but I'll try and take one-  I've seen similar on ebay and marine consignment stores.

You could do something like this- which is readily available-  I have a long shaft as well and with careful measurement, was able to figure out how low I could mount the motor and still leave room to tilt.  So far it's worked out well-  I also mounted as far outboard as I could to give me more room to work with.  I haven't had any adverse trim effects from that.

motor mount.jpeg

I have one of the lifting style brackets.

They have some advantages.

The motor is kept well aft of the mizzen sheet so does not tend to catch it.

The up position is high enough so the prop is out of the water so you don't need to tilt the motor and it can stay on for launching and retrieving.

The motor can be set to different depths- in very shallow water the the prop can be set to be just above the keel depth (and still pump water) so if you can float in the water you can motor.

Likewise in heavier conditions with bigger waves the prop can be immersed deeper to prevent ventilation as the stern goes up and down with the waves.

Cheers

Peter HK

tn_Outboard bracket 2.JPG

Many thanks for the different solutions and pictures! (I like the simplicity and cost of a 2x8 bolted to the transom, but unfortunately the motor would get in the way of one of my deck hatches.) I have a CLC NE Dory I can row, and I can always remove the motor later if I decide it's not necessary. However, my wife was on a crew team in college and she's not enthusiastic about rowing anything but a rowing shell - everything else is too slow.

This was Roger Peterson's boat, which was started in 2003. I'm hoping to launch by early July.

stern.jpg

Not to distract from the goal of this thread, but I have been keeping up on Torqueedo.  I am still being stubborn about an auxiliary for now, but slowly softening to the idea. My thought process is leaning towards a removable side mount for a self contained/sealed/light weight/electric.  Nothing would be permanently mounted to my boat that isn't there already and the entire thing could be stored away. Electrics are getting lighter and battery life is getting longer.  I don't know that this would ever be a cruising choice, except maybe with a good solar charger.  But I see it as doable for daysailing already. I simply cannot abide with a metal monster hanging on my boat when I sail. (not to imply anyone else should care)

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/torqeedo--travel-503-electric-outboard-motor-short-shaft--12101812?mrkgcl=481&mrkgadid=3252486983&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%20-%20West%20Marine%20Branded-_-12101812&product_id=12101812&adpos=1o3&creative=231267080879&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwx43ZBRCeARIsANzpzb_quX7600_-x8dC5Bdd-ImsY7Uu3-T7JM-4CUUnbgoME_ncBv-bN1UaAlXTEALw_wcB

Back to the regularly scheduled discussion.........

The "three-legged thing" is quite stiff when mounted, yes.  I tip my short-shaft Suzuki up.  I did some fussing with the mounting location so that it would both reach the water and have room to tip up and lock.  I'm thinking with the long shaft you could mount the bracket a little higher so have plenty of room to tip up.  See foto.

image.png.4485eb2ad31eda3ac202c3a9174497bd.png

• 2 weeks later...

Many, many thanks for all the replies!  I looked closely at the Duckworks bracket - but it didn't seem it would extend far enough to tip the motor 90 degrees (and the Suzuki motor only locks at 90 degrees). I also liked the lifting style brackets - but all the ones I saw I would need to buy online, and I wasn't sure how well they would fit.

In the end, I really liked the idea of pressure treated lumber (2x10), so I built one to fit. I saw something similar in an online Scamp build blog. I don't like the stress created on the transom by how it extends so far aft (~11 inches) - I suspect the biggest threats are potholes bouncing the trailer. (I need to add a safety cable.)

motormount.jpg