Outboard horsepower needed for Spindrift?

Rdubs

Hi everyone

Did a search and found a post from 2014 where they were discussing what outboard they were using on their Spindrift.  I’d reply there but a lot of people don’t like resurrecting threads from the dead so posting new.  

Most seemed to be using a motor in the 2-4 hp range.   But I couldn’t tell if that was sufficient to get the boat up on a plane.  I built a 10N, using regular 1/4” marine plywood (so a bit heavier than the nice stuff) and then reinforced the hull with glass and epoxy on the outside and epoxy on the inside.  So it’s a bit heavier than some have built.  I’m wondering if I might need a 5hp to get it up on plane, assuming it was carrying 200 pounds of passengers.  Saw a YouTube video of a kiddo using an 8hp on a Spindrift, needless to say it was on a plane but it looked like the stern was really weighed down.  

Thanks for any thoughts

’dubs

Didn't know that thanks Chick.

Do you think a 4HP would move it along at a pretty respectable speed?  Even though the boat doesn't truly plane, I'm sure there is some threshold where above it the boat skims more than slogs.

Thanks

Rich

Rdubs, I'd check with Graham and/or Alan. I think a 4hp would do fine under normal conditions. Maybe as much as 6hp for heavy load or head sea. You normally wouldn't open it up to full throttle. Another consideration is the extra weight of a bigger motor hanging on the transom when sailing. Shouldn't be a problem when used only as a motorboat. Thrilsbe uses his BRS 15 as a fishing and power boat sometimes. Maybe he can give his recommendation.

That’s a great video and very helpful.  Thanks Steve.  Right now my dink doesn’t have a sailing rig, row / motor only, but watching how it does under sail on your video has me yearning now a bit.  It’s just expensive to piecemeal the parts, even used on Craigslist.  

Great job job docking it under sail btw. 

6 hours ago, Rdubs said:

Right now my dink doesn’t have a sailing rig, row / motor only, but watching how it does under sail on your video has me yearning now a bit. 

Now you're thinking   ?  Kidding aside, it is one of the sweetest sailing dinks around.

That was a well executed landing under sail. 

I fast-forwarded through the motoring part.  ?