Simple panel entrance door, folding hinges or sliding in a day

Oyster

This is a simple method for anyone that fusses with making the entrance door on your cabin. This can be done in a day if you plan correctly. Cut you a sheet of 1/4" plywood for your entrance, whether its a slider or two split folding opening doors, which I am going with when done.  Then cut your available solid wood. In my case I used Juniper for weight savings and also plan on painting it , so no need for any fancy hardwoods. The thickness when resawing the board ended up to be 1/2" . This makes the door come out 1 1/4" when its done. Of course you can end up with a thinner door. But when I do the finish sanding, I plan on sawing it down the middle, for the folding feature with a lock and moulding over the seam.

I dry fit everything, staggering the joints from one side to the other. Then I glue up one side and let it cure to a green stage and then flip it over and glue up the other side. Make sure your surface is flat for the glue up. That's really important in the initial glue up for the first side.

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

Well the door unit was fitted correctly to the jam , cut and roughed in on the hinges. The t-astragal  moulding will go on the edge, closing up the seam. I am considering cutting the windows a bit bigger before I trim the window frames. The doors are certainly lightweight enough going this direction.  Cheers

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

Perko makes several locks from mortise setups to face mounted rim locks. I am not too excited about the prices though. SO my alternative is to go with the traditional barn door hasp with a master lock. But that doesn't solve my issues about just closing the double doors when underway in particular and they staying shut without a jam keeper. I may look around the used shops and see if I can find any used locks between now and the time I finally get all the details done on the doors.

I should have been clearer in reply to Mr. Tom. To hold the door or doors open, it is my intent to use slide bolts at the base of the door into a notched out raised stopper, picture a rectangle block of wood with a slot in it for the slide bolt so that the doors have a positive lock system. The doors have some clearance at the base with the deck angle as they open up, also enhanced with the need to have the door bottoms up a bit with a threshold between the cabin and cockpit to hopefully seal things up from any water that may run forward in the wrong situation or heavy rains.  The slide bolt will naturally want to stay in the downward position until I lift it back up. Of course those screen door type hooks work okay as long as they hook in a horizontal position. You do get some chatter in choppy waters though with those .

This will be my finished set up showing with a temporary block when all my decks and paint is done on the door. This is a positive locking setup.  Set the height on your  sliding bolt that you end up with when the sliding bolt is in the bottom notch and the blocking is sitting under the door edge. Then mark your hole and drill it. I plan on using hardwood for the blocking and resin coat it really good to seal it.  Hopefully this shot is clear enough to see. And no the carpet is not a finished material. I just use it to dress the deck up  when using the boat until things are completely finished.

IMG_2120.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Now that you have the bow pulpit finished you should get the boat in the water.  There is only one day left in the Big Rock Marlin Tournament.  Largest marlin so far is, I think, 518 pounds, which is quite a bit smaller than usual, leaving a great oportunity for local knowledge fisherfolk like you and Linda.  Big bucks to be had and marlin will be atracted to a new boat like yours.?

Well the doors are done, except for the final topcoat paint. I trimmed the open framing out and will be using removable glass for more air. If this becomes an issue for any reason I can bed the glass in place.  When I remove the glass from the opening, I will store them down below in the panel on the inside of the doors.  The dogs at the top just pivot on the fasteners, while the ones at the bottom are fixed in place.

IMG_2194.JPG