Capt Bones

Capt Bones Core Sound 17 Mk 3 #14 Kit Build?

OK, I now have the Cypress sprit plugs cut.  I have the option of leaving them at 2 full inches or  shaving down to 1.5" that the plans relate.  Then as I look at them deciding the round over is confusing me.  Further, what is a proper finish for sprits.  I am asking the group these questions.

• 1.5" or 2" sprits?
  • 1/4" or 1/2" round-over?
  • What length and how much taper?
  • What length are the ends rounded?
  • How is it best to finish sprits?

We will be starting on the centerboard system this weekend and have finished both sides of the rudder blade and will refine the trailing edge in the morning.

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Oops.  I jumped to soon to ask those questions.  Went to the video tour of Carlita and answered all my own questions.  Sorry for any disturbance.

The sprits are shaped but not finished for lack of decision on what to use.  Suggestions welcomed.  Alan sent some updated assembly sheets Friday, but we only have 8.5x11printer paper and the best size is 11x17.  We had to wait for Monday to get proper size copies made that I could read easier. Aw, you gotta love small southern towns trying to do things in town on a weekend. 

So today we threw a bunch of parts into the boat near there correct locations just to see them and what they may look like installed.  Kinda of a quasi dry fitting.  Here is what that looks like.IMG_20180606_083422552.thumb.jpg.b59f456952c9f99012a8256e79e19bb7.jpgIMG_20180606_083500077.thumb.jpg.041fb1f508e65e4d0ccb06428ff1a353.jpg

Those parts will be set aside and the centerboard trunk assembled and installed as it seems most interior parts orbit around the trunk and ballast tank for a bit.  I am not good at estimating installation times but it looks like a day or two to get the trunk glassed in and over the weekend to install either the ballast tank and/or several support parts.  It feels like three steps forward this week while trying to gauge where the one step back will occur.  Adelante.

13 hours ago, Capt Bones said:

Kinda of a quasi dry fitting

Hey, just finish quasi fitting and go for a quasi sail! Why wait?

Anyway, lookin' good. Yeah, small towns are fun.

If I glass or epoxy something in my temperature controlled metal roofed barn, when finished, is it alright to turn off AC and allow it to bake dry in the high heat and reduced humidity?  I have experimented with samples that suggest I can fillet, glass and apply the two epoxy top coats in one 12 hr period with seemingly good results and reap a nice savings in time simply by turning the AC off after each application and back on before applying again.

i have the cypress sprits shaped.  I wish to apply a finish.  Because of there specific activity, (flexing and rubbing against sail) is there a preferred finish?

Bones

Yes, raising the temperature will speed up the cure.  Carbon composites, like spars, are actually baked in an autoclave. (I don't suggest baking) You can recoat with epoxy in as little as 3-4 hours on a warm day.  Of all the procedures in making these boats nothing saves time like hot recoating.  And when the time you are saving is sanding, well, what more is there to say?

I used Spar Varnish and added leather chafe gear where the sprit laps the mast. I don't use epoxy under varnish on solid wood parts.