Capt Bones Core Sound 17 Mk 3 #14 Kit Build?

Capt Bones

Some days are diamonds some days are stone.  Today was a stone day.  No matter how hard I squeezed the stone it would not change to a diamond.  So it was decided to turn it to a positive pondering day.  I kicked the trailer tires.  I kicked a mast tube which then fell over a conked me on the head.  I kicked at a paint can but missed so I jumped up and down on it.  Some days I ponder with a foot.  It made me feel better so I went to my plans desk, (a piece of plywood braced to a wall where I can sit and ponder and review plans) while pondering the drawings, I absentmindedly stuck my elbow in a sticky pot of virgin epoxy.  I didn't kick it, but I did mentally booted myself in the butt and focused on how to salvage a shitty morning at the Core Sound Build Site of the Tennessee River Consortium--my barn.

With forward progress in mind I decided to turn my destructive bent into a benefit.  I torn into my boat trailer stripping it down to essentials.  Once there I renewed the kicking trend and managed to kick the axle forward under the frame to where I think it should be located  keeping in mind that the masts hangover both ends of the boat and how that might impact my tow vehicle.  I stopped there and took pictures and pondered up another question the answer to which would be helpful in the re-build of this long tongue tilt trailer.

Where is the Center of Gravity of the CS 17 MK 3?  Perhaps more specifically where is the CG plus 10-15% for tongue weight.

kicking the axle around bled off quite a bit of my angst which has been downgraded to whining, cause all that kicking ripped the toe out of my boot.

Risking more distress, but hoping for a tranquil paint experience, I mixed a pot of paint with a new percent of conditioner and adopted a different paint delivery method to my rudder blade.  Hot dang, I got it all right and the first coat went on perfectly.  I think the paint submitted after jumping up and down on the can  earlier.  You can even see a bit of the pin hole, the down haul and the undrilled marks of the uphaul and the travel pin location.

So now that I have found the masters secret to paint, (unhuh), I can go back to the hull in the morning and finish the bottom--after I kick the can a bit.

Finally being back on the track of success, I dry fitted glass tape to the mizzen upper mast tube and dry tested it.  It held in proper position and is now ready to be jammed and pounded into the middle mast tube, once the receptor tube is prepped, and the glass wetted out as needed.   That will happen when I get up the nerve to commit.

Naturally there is always a sanding to be performed everyday, but who wants to hear the droning, droning droning of sanding.  The real question is the CG of the CS 17 mk 3.  All comments welcomed. pictures to come.

Can I pour a gin and tonic now?  

Capt Bones

What I Learned Today

Paint is not gender neutral.  It is decidedly female with its own set of vulgar and wonderfully delicious behaviors. I understand now why others cannot tell a person how to paint.  The paint has chosen you and its use is by her rules, her dictates, her whims and if she screws you it aint a good thing. When painting you must adapt your efforts to her infinite moods which can alter from minute to minute during the course of application.  To be attuned to paint requires intense concentration and a sensitivity of touch not unlike foreplay with a human. I am humbled by my tutage from paint today and I am grateful to her for allowing me a modicum of knowledge this morning.  I take a small amount of pride and a large amount of satisfaction that she has allowed me to finally finish the bottom of the hull successfully--and, after my previous dismal efforts, it looks durn good to me. 

If the weather holds I will be able to turn the boat right side up and get back to forward hatches, tabernacles, masts and perhaps a few dozen other things.  Todays pictures to follow.

Bones

Sunday was a cleanup day.  Cleanup of loose ends, not the shop.  The shop needs it, but where the fun in that when there are an assortment of partially finished mini projects not worthy of pictures such as final milling of the cypress sprits, melding the upper two portions of the mizzen, varnish on the tiller after drilling a bit larger holes, one to allow it to swivel up and the other to pin it down.  Several other items done, but not really sexy discussion items.  Speaking of discussion, Bumpkin was on the build site and he always brings ideas and comments which typically force us to pouring over plans, but only after pouring the first beer.  First concern was where to mount the pump to fill and empty the ballast tank and how to run the hoses.  After flogging that horse for an hour we decided, we had not enough experience with the use of the tank so we said to heck with it.  Until we develop some experience of need we will stow pump and hoses and yank it out and suck or fill through the 8" por with a hose overboard. Being enlightened, we change to light locations, how to power and where to place lights.  We both voted against mast mount and will go for hull mount LED wired to main battery and solar panel.  We also spent 1.5 hours going thro fittings sorting, matching, imagining and spilling beer on the plans.  While seemingly a causal Sunday, brainstorming with Bumpkin is always labor and/or time saving session.

Monday was a simple day.  We turned the boat right side up and spent the day sanding then epoxied what just got sanded.  Big whoop.  Fortunately with the Keebler like weather, uncommonly good, the barn bay A/C, the exhaust fan and two blowers the epoxy dried over night so we could sand about a gazillon sq. ft. of hull on a 17 foot boat.  Moisture from the hurricane in the Gulf will now start moving in, but when it drys out in bout a week, I probably should paint the boat or as much as I can before the much cooler weather gets in the way.

No response on the center of gravity question yet so maybe I should ask what part of the 17 mk 3 do you locate over the axle and how much tongue weight does that give you?

Randy thank you for your insight.  I have no idea of how long it takes epoxy to fully cure and come to think of it, I probably do not even know what fully cured means.  I have read it takes anywhere from a week to a month for quote "fully cured". Fortunately I do not need to wait that long to sand.  In my air conditioned and exhaust fan equipped boat barn in Tennessee,  epoxy is dry enough to sand with 80 grit in 12 to 36 hours depending on humidity and temperature.  I weight all these factors and take advantage of hot dry days vs humid not so hot days balancing those elements with the exhaust fan and the AC.  During sufficently dry hot days the AC is off and the exhaust fan on and in hot humid conditions the AC alone may be the best choice.  My criteria for dry enough to sand is the texture of the epoxy removed by sanding.  If a dry dust I am happy, if it leaves small clots on the paper or worse throwing off little gummy balls I wait.  In prepping for paint I leave a full week for curing as opposed to dry enough to sand.

Tuesday was another sanding and small chore day with some relief shopping for a variety of fastners.

Wednesday was busy with some third coats of epoxy on the cockpit and cabin roof alone with gluing in place the last parts of the sliding hatch and wash board retainers and test varnishing the washboard.  Pics to follow.

Bones

On 10/9/2018 at 10:08 PM, Capt Bones said:

........varnish on the tiller after drilling a bit larger holes, one to allow it to swivel up and the other to pin it down. 

I have pivoting tillers on both my B&B sailboats.  On my Spindrift I use a wing nut so it is easy to take apart for storage.  But why would you want to pin it down? I find both stay down fine with just gravity.

Dave,

A good question that is probably better then my answer.  On other boats I have  broken a raised tiller or had tillers come up with the use of swiveling hiking sticks creating the necessity of differing forces needed to steer the boat similar to having the hiking stick directly in line with the tiller where pushing the tiller one way or the other requires moving the extension off center line to create an angle of leverage.  An un-pinned tiller always seems to get caught in this position, (for me), at the most inopportune moments such as hiking out at full extention on a Laser  Further, I have had single pinned tillers wear loose and become sloppy which only seems to manifest in heavy weather. A locking pin with wing nut as you described allows easy removal to allow swiveling if needed.  My swivel pin will be secured with nylon nut.  Being a lazy cuss who rather be sailing then dismantling a boat for transport, my rudder system, including tiller will remain on the boat for transport and storaged along with the masts and all nav aids.  YMMV, But this mildly superstitous behavior has served me well in the past.  I hope this explanation answers your question.

Bones

Alan,

Thank you for the trailer/boat comments and drawing. It is exactly what I needed.  Is the trailer back of the axle that short that it leaves so much of the boat behind the trailer unsupported?  My trailer will allow about the same amount of boat overhang and I was planning on adding more trailer aft.  If your trailer drawing aft is to scale, I obviously do not need to add anything aft.

Bones

The drawing above is not to scale as it relates to the overhang of the stern off the trailer. Graham's trailer extends back about 6 feet behind the axle which puts it close to the transom actually but that is not really by design. We always try to make a point of keeping the bunks flat in the stern section i.e. not giving much support to the boat so as not to hinder launching but rollers back there on the keel are always a good thing. If the trailer bunks matched the rocker of the hull you would need to push the boat "uphill" off the trailer. So it is okay to have a fair amount of overhang on the trailer in my opinion and indeed I have quite a bit on my CS17 but It does make strapping the boat down easier with a longer trailer perhaps if you want to make use of the stern u-bolts for that purpose. -Alan

Thanks to both of you.  I always enjoy your comments.

More sanding today ànd finishing coats on garage, sliding hatch and foreward hatch lid and frame.  With the trailer drawings from Alan I have determined the needs of my trailer mods right down to the last inch.  Sails and rigging now ordered from B&B.  This next couple of weeks will be explosive in finishing sections of the build if I get off my ass and stop planning and start doing.  Fall in Tennessee is often about three days long.with little transition tween summer and winter.  Fall started today.  I really need to get to paint quickly.

Bones

Um, Action Tiger.  I may have overstated a bit.  Being from Arizona via SW Florida and now living in Tennessee, temps in the 50's and 60's are still practically winter to me.  Our trees are only thinking about color change.  But my epoxy containers are much harder to pump and I notice paint, epoxy and other stuff is very much slower drying, so I'm with Game of Thrones--winter is coming.

Today I dogged it a bit and only glued in all the forward hatch items and fitted  and glued in the cover over the front portion of the ballast tank in the cabin--finally.  

Bones

A Personal Note to the Designer: 

Dear Sir,

At 0914 hrs this morning I received a very polite email from your young cohort Alan.  He wrote the following:  "on a side note, Graham had one critique or concern on one of your pictures (a minor thing), he noticed that you had cutout the transom beam where the boomkin will be installed and has concern that that will weaken the boomkins connection to the boat...."  He then graciously told me what had to be done to re-instate the strength to its origin condition.  The email suggested I may have made a mistake.  

Au contraire my good man, au contraire.  What you so quickly pointed out as a total and complete screw-up by so talented a boat builder as I, is in fact, an ingenious engineering adaptation to your plans, as you can see in the first picture.  Allow me to be the first to point out your plans have not allowed nor made provisions for individual creative outside the boomkin post assembly thinking.  Hence, where you had two holes in the transom beam, I forged two slots so that my boomkin will actually fit in the receiver slots unlike with your two closed holes.  In the second picture you can see how well my option works.

???  Wait.  What!  you put the pieces through the slot and then assemble?  That's not fair!  That is simply cheating.  Lets continue this conversation after the pictures.

242595390_IMG_45251.thumb.JPG.7e487319dead1fa29ff0ffaebaee934a.JPG

259101598_IMG_45261.thumb.JPG.6db94e345e07cf319bdf3c98ad382663.JPG

I suppose next your gonna tell me my seat hatches aren't flush. and the seat edges are not rounded over.  You are a pretty darn picky pair you two are.  I am learning my lessons.   When we get to the EC starting beach, I am going to wait for Alan and Graham to get their boats off the trailer and set them in the sand, then, I am going to off-load my boat at the far end of the beach and put a cover over it.

Jesting aside, this was one of several brain farts that have bubbled up during this build that have or will cause me to re-build or modify.  I feel pretty good about this one as the suggested fix is what my intentions have been since needing to adapt this element.  I could share more errors and other mistakes but see no need to detail the total extent of my stupidity in a public forum.

I have taken this situation from the privacy of my email folder to this forum because others should know it is ok to screw up, to make silly errors and to simply make mistakes.  I am certainly not embarrassed by my mistakes for more then a couple of minutes and I appreciate when others point out things I could improve.  So thank you Alan and Graham for your constant assistance and vigilance.

As an aside.  Graham, you are no longer allowed to look at my pictures.  Go design something, construct another spinnaker reefing system. (laughing out loud).  You guys are fun to work with, thanks again. 

ugh.  Now back to the boat barn for me. The rest of you go buy my book at Amazon, search by author  Wayne Flatt.

Bones