Core Sound 17 Outboard well (short shaft)

Today I started on an outboard well for our Core Sound 17 'Southbound'. We recently purchased a Tohatsu 3.5 4-stroke short shaft motor from online outboards. The plan is to use the new motor on our currently under construction CS-20mk3 since it was deemed the best fit. That means the 17 needs a bracket or a well and I didn't want to buy or make a bracket particularly. 

We previously used a long shaft 2 stroke honda 2.5 but that motor went with a new owner of our Core Sound 20 Dawn Patrol. The long shaft bolted to a bracket whos edge sat above the top of the transom. The new motor must be in a well to reach the water since it's 5" shorter. 

I've been breaking in the new motor in a trash can in the evenings and have now 2.5 hrs of time on it below 3000rpm and it purrs like a kitten compared to the old 2-stroke honda.  

Here is a link to all the pictures I took today of cutting a fitting the outboard well. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dnbRVtpFxNTxV5o16

And here are some select shots....

I started with a "minimal" 6" wide 6" deep cutout centered on the old outboard position 13 1/2" off the center-line. I chose 15 1/2" above the lower edge of the transom at that point for the height of the cutout and that turned out to be spot on. Not too low that the controls hit the deck and not too high that the lower unit hits the bottom of the boat. It will remain to be seen if the prop is low enough in the water but I'm prepared to live with it. 

GyYg3_91Cm_sUBKHXzPwsvcejfpk8g4_Yg_136JR

The motor didn't quite fit width wise so the hole was widened 1" inboard. That got her in the hole but the body of the motor hit the corners of the cutout when it was rotated. So the next iteration aimed to widen the hole to correct that. 

TeHWciH8mbBAoYKETU6YqI4EP403wD8YH27EPCvU

The motor would now rotate in one direction but from the other "preferred" direction the tiller bonked on the inside corner (see below) . So one more iteration was needed. 

EP3eK1AuwJtcTIohmgAm3hLSbNSfLV53_Hqs76GY

The final cutout was ~12 3/4" wide at the top edge of the transom starting 8" inboard from the sheer. And 11" "deep" fore and aft. 

cGr-EWthAdFDRab17cqDkzqZNTRb15PTlx1UtWEK

Now satisfied with the size of the cutout I installed a beam across the cutout 1" thick and notched it for an existing stiffener. 

8EeFq7VrRsvH9YzgzM0CwYyn95UNcSF6BrB1ztBf

Then I screwed a bottom in up against the lower face of the beam and proceeded to install cardboard hot glue templates for the sides and front panels. 

d-ksH5n_yy7oJEUu3Cx3t6uL0Xi_HXsiCP3-3ZXl

The cardboard templates were replaced with the real McCoy (1/4" okume) . The sides and front were marked on the bottom and then the bottom was cut to final shape. 

1o-reSUZGJjOIEGz3PchepTxrkirdCu9pRxoZRr0

Next all was removed and assembled with 3-4 dabs of hot glue to join the parts together. 

cSXIfsb6f720qHOLf973nzzS73dAQ9pjZxUwFZRi

The hot glue assembly was strong enough to round over the exterior edges and sand it all smooth. 

vllw9KoWFNyLbdrN7jERsYH7ytTDYytpiRNoM0Tk

This assembly was checked for fit back in the boat. 

ncag4NBhGP_8HULGs7_OgFHrZP5MTOtJEdQNWlt9

Finally (for today) the assembly was taken into the shop the interior edges were filleted and then it was flipped over and glassed. After the glass was cured enough the edges were trimmed and the box placed on a cutting board with plastic to create a mold surface. Then 2 layers of glass were applied onto the mold surface to create flanges that will bond the top edges of the box up against the underside of the fore deck tomorrow. The beam and box assembly will all be installed together and then the deck cutout edges will be rounded over and the inside of the box glassed to the boat and deck. 

pF08LKuuL2AlX7MrQciI6By5whzFlKvanC-8c-BG

The well that I built in Summer Breeze only had one problem. I couldn't tilt the motor up enough for the tilt lock (or whatever it's called) to engage. The powerhead hit the deck before the motor was tilted far enough. I had to make a block to stick between the tower housing and transom clamp to hold it in a tilted position.

My experience with my CS 20 is that the notch has to be cut deeper into the transom than the shaft length would indicate. The transom lifts in swells and waves and brings the prop up. In flat water it's ok, otherwise I have to keep the boat stern heavy. I don't want a bracket but I may end up doing that.

The box is in. I pulled it off the mold this morning, scraped all the gluing surfaces, buttered it up and squished it in place. 

If the prop ends up a bit too high, I might be able to cut her down a little but the motor body was the limiting factor when the motor swings through 180 degrees. 

mWpvSwpQAXuVJOv1Pu3t5boxpi9cfgSO7qKYgWqw

EkvWbzc4F_LibHXrpFEKNYeTGxIvTeCW34GYi3qP

fP72Dm3c9f9wR-NAwCs2vUX-fBZf-pdBmZjHudvt

Graham pointed out to me that I mistakenly said my old Honda 2.5 motor was a 2-stroke when i should know darn well that Honda is known specifically for NOT making 2 stroke outboards. Allow the record to reflect that it is in fact a 4-stroke and I am working on writing 100 times on the chalkboard. Honda never made a 2 stroke outboard, Honda never made a 2 stroke outboard, Honda never made a 2 stroke outboard, Honda never made a 2 stroke outboard.......

4 minutes ago, Alan Stewart said:

Graham pointed out to me that I mistakenly said my old Honda 2.5 motor was a 2-stroke when i should know darn well that Honda is known specifically for NOT making 2 stroke outboards. Allow the record to reflect that it is in fact a 4-stroke and I am working on writing 100 times on the chalkboard. Honda never made a 2 stroke outboard, Honda never made a 2 stroke outboard, Honda never made a 2 stroke outboard, Honda never made a 2 stroke outboard.......

Well to be fair, Graham has been known to be wrong  too. IIRC he used to drive on the wrong side of the road as standard practice.

• Like 1

Alan, if your old Honda 2.5 was the one that I sold to Dawn and Paul it wasn't just not-a-two-stroke.  I think it was also only-a-2hp. :)  I may be remembering that incorrectly, though.

Please post pictures of the trials - I still miss that boat (not that there's much left of the original after your repairs and improvements, mind you).

And Capt Oyster - I have it on good authority that Graham long ago ceased to drive on the correct side of the road and now is following your example of driving on the right side instead of the correct side.  Wait - That's making my head hurt...  Nevermind.

• Like 1

Haha, Ken you are right as well it was a 2hp. It served us well and was just sold along with the Dawn Patrol package. 

It may not look the same but it's got good bones. 

Here are some pictures of us on one of our last years trips out to lookout.  https://goo.gl/photos/DhpTDZTJHqAuzAe79

And some shots from one our last years day trips to the sandbar in Beaufort with friends. The masts stayed at home and we went in "motor mode" with beach umbrellas in place of the masts. 

20170715_155621.thumb.jpg.fbc5c9f1d922bed0bac97f0f6f63d783.jpg20170715_155713.thumb.jpg.57627fb54d7169e8873d1f8924eda0be.jpg

For comparison, I am using a Yamaha F5 long shaft 4 stroke (or a Chinese imitation of one) and didn't need to build a cutout. All I did was build an angled timber bracket and attach direct to he transom with through bolts. Seems to work a treat.

IMG_2245.JPG