Water in Shad

DGW

Hi all good Kudzu Craft folk,

I have had my Shad out a few times and I am getting to know it better. I have just posted some launch shots.

I figure that after two hours on the water (salt water) I have about one cup of water in the boat. A bit of this has come off my rubber shoes and some is from drips that come from the paddle and through the spray deck but I think half of it is coming in from somewhere else. The Shad skin is Jeff's 8 oz polyester with five coats of single-pot clear polyurethane rolled on.

So, let us say that I have half a cup of water coming in over a two hour paddle. Is this normal? Is this within an acceptable range? Can I expect to achieve an absolutely waterproof skin? Should I consider applying another couple of coats of polyurethane?

I would like to know the experience of experienced skin-on-frame paddlers.

Cheers,

Denis

Denis

I built three of these, a cup of water in two hours means you may have a microscopic hole open somewhere on the bottom of the boat.

One of my boats does this too. It has been too small for me to be concerned with it.  If it were more of a problem, I have read that you could start to fill the boat with water and try and look for where it may be coming out?

John

My experience is just like yours. I always have water in the boat and have gotten to the point I don't even notice it anymore. I just expect it.

You do drag some water in getting in and out. Paddles drip in. and seams are rarely totally waterproof. If you ever turn your boat upside down with water in it I will bet you will see some water dripping our around the seams. We poke dozens of holes sewing them and as hard as i try mine to seal these, they always leak a little.  

I suspect water seeps through the skin some even though I don't know this for a fact. It is possible you have a few pin holes in your hull but if you only have a cup or water I wouldn't worry about it. I have found those tend to seal themselves. I assume detris in the water gets pulled in and seals them. Best way to check is put the boat upside down on saw horses. put a light inside the hull and darken the room. Any pin holes will be very obvious as tiny bright points of light.

• Like 1

Many thanks John and Jeff. I was not overly concerned about the water but am now even less concerned. I will monitor it and only worry if water entry significantly worsens.

I like Jeff's suggestion about using a light in a darkened room to look for pinholes and I will try this idea if I ever think it is necessary track a water entry point down.

Cheers, Denis