CATFISH * fishing catamaran

Kudzu

Something new and way different than a kayak.  I was inspired by an idea from a fellow that used to live near me. 

Powered by an electric trolling motor . Catamaran for stability.  Higher seat height makes casting and flyfishing much easier. Short length make is easy to fit in a pickup truck bed. Just a concept at this point but I think it had a lot of potential.

catfish2.jpg

• Like 1

This is the first draft so it will change I am pretty sure, 10 foot long pontoons 4 foot overall width as drawn.   That is a perfect size to fit in the back of a pickup truck.

I wanted to keep it at 8' length but I figure you put a big guy on there, trolling motor, battery, cooler and fishing tackle.... suddenly your looking at a very realistic 350 lb load. 8' pontoons sunk to deep for my taste and the longer it is the better it will ride in choppy water. The way I designed it I think it might be feasible to just add another frame in the middle and extend it to 12 ft or even 14 ft when building it.  Everyone wants short boats but they pitch bad in anything past small waves so there is an advantage to longer pontoons in rougher waters.

As for the weight, really don't know.  The hulls will probably be 12-15 lbs each? But the beams, seat framing, etc is so variable it hard to guess. I think  40-45 lbs. boat only is realistic if you really watch the weight but I haven't worked out the construction details of the bridge yet.  So it just an fair guess at this point.

I worked a lot on a sailing trimaran as a personal project but just lots of structural issues. Sails put a tremendous force on a boat and I just couldn't come with anything that would go fast (my goal) and that I could feel safe with. SOF is flexible that goes against what is needed in sailboat unless your just poking around. I love sailing  fast,hate sailing slow. I think that is one place plywood/epoxy construction makes more sense. It possible but not sure how practical it is.