epoxy vs titebond 3

Walter T

I am building a skin on frame boat and it has been recommended that I use epoxy which I don't like at all. I am wondering if I could use Titebond 3 and screws instead of using epoxy and screws. This would be all of the wood to plywood  joints in the boat. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I think that Titebond 3 and epoxy would make an equally strong bond. However, these boats' fuselage are designed to flex slightly. The lashing recommended with these and Greenland style kayaks is incredibly strong and will not break from usage or transport stresses. I've seen the designs that call for the epoxy joints and I thought that if I ever built one, I'd convert it to lashed joints. Try a sample lashed joint with some stringer scrap and try to break the joint. Then try the same with the epoxy. You may be impressed with the result.

I wouldn’t use Titebond to glue stringers to plywood frames. Of course, I’d never glue stringers to plywood frames for a sof boat, but, then, that’s me. :)

Now, for gluing stringer scarfs, I’d use Titebond without hesitation.

Were I gluing stringers to plywood for a sof boat, (again, I never would) and didn’t want to use thickened epoxy, I’d be apt to use one of the tube type construction adhesives. There are a few polyurethane tube glues (the kind you use with a caulking gun) that have proven to work well enough in dry launched boats.

Shoot, one sof designer even slathers his boats with the stuff on the outside! :)

Peace,

Robert 

Visit my web site, lots of information on making Fuselage Frame boats. http://www.kudzucraft.com/web/

Both epoxy and Titebond are great glues but they both have their place and methods. In my boats, I never use any glue at all. Well. except in assembling the coamings.  Lashing is great way to build a boat eve though it seems like a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, Kudzu said:

Visit my web site, lots of information on making Fuselage Frame boats. http://www.kudzucraft.com/web/

Both epoxy and Titebond are great glues but they both have their place and methods. In my boats, I never use any glue at all. Well. except in assembling the coamings.  Lashing is great way to build a boat eve though it seems like a bad idea. 

Now, Jeff, be honest...

You scarf stringers, too, sometimes. :);)

Peace,

Robert

OK Guys

I will give lashing a try. My keel is going to be 2" wide. Will that make any difference in the effectiveness of the lashing and I didn't see any info on lashing the stem? My boat will also have a transom. How would you go about lashing stems to the transom and wouldn't that create a small gap between the lashing, fabric and transom and allow water to get between?

This is great and thank you

Walter T

Jeff, I didn't buy my plans from you but, I would like to buy some lashing from you. Is this OK with you and what is your favorite lashing to work with?

Edited by Walter T
Added a question

If you money is green or sliver I will gladly accept it. :)

The best material for lashing is artificial sinew, I have tried other things and nothing works better.

As how to build you boat I would consult the designer. I would expect him to provide you with instructions on how to build this boat. We can only guess at what he had in mind. Not knowing the details of the design it is just a guess.

2 hours ago, Kudzu said:

Your right. I scarf stringers on every boat and I use Titebond 3. That is just so normal I forget about it.

Haha. Just giving you guff. :)

You're actually the guy who convinced me to use Titebond III with impugnity. I’ve used it on sof stringers, spars, oars, paddles, and a daggerboard and two rudder blades.

I love it, as long as there are good fits. 

Peace,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...