Steve W

Trailer for Core Sound Mark 3 boats.

I mount the bunks on edge and shape them to fit the hull. I prefer that the bunks carry most of the weight, as the center rollers can deform the hull if the keel isn't stiff enough. I think that's the case the way we use a big epoxy "fillet" down the center in place of a wood keelson. Guess I'm kinda paranoid about this, but back-in-the-day when my business was boat repair, I saw a lot of damage from trailers.

Dave,

I did not modify the bunks for the Belhaven trailer.  Laid flat the way they are, they deflect pretty well to match the bottom of the boat.  My thinking was to have the good support beneath the 350lb keel and then hold the plywood portion of the boat up with the bunks.

One annoying aspect of bunk set-up is that the bolt holes for height adjustments are in one inch increments.  I got it close but should really go back and put a spacer between the bracket and the bunk to get the forward elevation of the bunk correct.  Lots of "trailer trial and error", really no other way around it.

One last recommendation specific to the Belhaven - Since she needs 10 inches to float and is pretty big to push around you really want to keep the boat as low as possible on the trailer or you won't be able to launch at shallow ramps.  

• Like 1

The bunks are just for balancing, so a little flex is actually good.  The 2x4s on my trialer for my 15'-8" Lapwing flex just enough to hug a bit of curve when pressure is exerted.  2x6s seems right for a 20 foot boat.  The spacing of the brackets will effect flex a lot too.  Mine are covered in PVC instead of carpet, easy to slide.

• Like 1

Reading this thread makes me feel guilty about what my CS 20 sits on. About 14 years ago I bought a used 1987 trailer that had an 18' inboard outboard sitting on it for $250. . The 14" tires were new. It is galvanized and looks like it has lived in many places. The boat rests on  7' 4" 2x4 bunks with carpet and some keel rollers. The back of the boat hangs over the back of the bunks by about 3 1/2 ft.  4 years ago I bought new tires and had the bearings packed. I squirt grease into the bearing buddies occasionally. I live in the Denver area. The trailer and boat have been to Lake Superior,  Anacortes, WA (boat to Friday Harbor), the Texas 200 3 times. I  have not had a flat tire or an trailer problem. I should have taken a leaf out of the trailer but I did not so it is a stiff ride for the boat.  Pore thing.

So I m probably due some bad luck this year when I drag the boat to Port Isabel for the Texas 200 again. It is about 2500 miles round trip. Gotta buy a cartridge for the grease gun and check the tire pressure.

Extend the bunks to the end just at or just past the transom face. It'll save a "hook" issue later on.