Sign in to follow this  
Thrillsbe

Wind Indicators

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3665fcd0d525aa9dI have been playing with various methids of wind direction detection.  The traditional method is to mount a “windex” atop a mast.  Since I am inherently lazy, I do not enjoy craning my neck, just to find out which way the wind is blowing.  My latest method is to mount a traditional windex to the forward end of my mizzen’s sprit.  Since my sprits are short, so I had to make a bracket to do this. If I you are making new sprits, consider making them a few inches long, to give this a try.

B800939F-F748-40BD-B7C6-3FA367316D76.jpeg

I had difficulty loading the photos.  Let me try again.

The whole idea is that the forward end of the sprit needs to go horizontal, providing a vertical hole for the windex.  It is held in place with a couple of "O" rings.  Looking up to the forward end of the sprit beats looking all the way to the top of the mast, at least for me.  It does not interfere at all with the main sail.

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0953 (2).JPG

I like the fact if you put your mast up and forget the put the indicator on, you don't have to panic and fly blind.