Capsized abandoned retrieved

acreew

It's been a long time since I saw a CS17 up close so I'll grab some numbers out of thin air. If your mast tube is 2 feet long and it's a quarter of an inch off at the base and the mast is 20 feet long then the tip of the mast will be out of place by 2.25 inches.  I think that's a difference that you will only see when you're at the ramp and looking at the boat from directly in front of or behind it.  When you're actually sailing I don't think you'll see it.  I bet plenty of us have sailed with that much bend built into our unstayed masts.  The center of effort of your mainsail isn't going to move much with that change in position, so you shouldn't notice as much change in performance as you will when you sit too far back in the cockpit.

I'd say finish the work and go sail and have fun.  If the difference in angle between the two masts eats away at you once you've gotten back on the water you can always adjust the angle of the mizzen to match.  It'll be easier to get to.

I will say with a bit of embarrassment that even if you measure and drop strings and crawl around on ladders and level trailers and do all those other things until you think everything is perfect, your mast angle may not end up where you think it was going to.  And I will say with some satisfaction that the 17 seems to sail perfectly fine regardless, probably for the reasons Ken just mentioned.  The adjustments available with the two sails are such that a slight displacement in the center(s) of effort appear to be easily -- really unconsciously -- adjusted for.

• 2 months later...

Repair completed and came out very well. Unable to tell as far as I can see. Thanks again for all the help:

i am am now completing the masts and have some questions if anyone can help:

1. Any advice on sealing the masts/preventing intrusion of water? Boatlife, butyl tape, ionic forcefield.

2. Want to install topping lifts....thinking of an eye strap at top of mast with line running through a fair lead or eye strap at end of the sprit and then through a clamcleat.... is this in the ballpark?

thanks,

Will

A748B403-D850-42F7-86D0-B1170455BF03.jpeg

0CD05034-9F22-44C8-80A7-6C2D64707565.jpeg

7 hours ago, acreew said:

1. Any advice on sealing the masts/preventing intrusion of water? Boatlife, butyl tape, ionic forcefield.

2. Want to install topping lifts....thinking of an eye strap at top of mast with line running through a fair lead or eye strap at end of the sprit and then through a clamcleat.... is this in the ballpark?

I don't think you can effectively seal the masts so I put a drain hole at the foot to let the water out.

That's how I did my topping lifts, though I must say after finding a good height for the boom I haven't used the adjustment much.

Cheers

Peter HK

I did the same as Peter to drain the masts. For the topping lifts, I used a snap shackle to clip the lift to an eye strap on the sprit, then the lift was run through a small block at the top of the mast, then down to a cleat on the side of the mizzen mast. For the main, the lift goes through a block on the deck and back to a cleat at the cockpit.

When I lower my masts to trailer, I pull the sprits all the way up along side of the mast, lower the masts, and tie the sprits to the masts. My boat, Summer Breeze, was a CS-17, Mk-2. Since you have a Mk-1, you wouldn't do this. At anchor, I like to raise the sprits high enough to get them out of the way.